What pre-amp tubes for my IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
I have been messing with the pre-amp tubes in my IIC+ and amazed at how the tone changes with different tubes. I started this quest due to noise with the really old Mesa tubes I that were in there when I got it. I liked the tone but they were weak sounding and noisy. Any way I put a Mesa Russian 2 in V1 and it got tighter and quieter. I put more Russian 2's in and not crazy about the tone. What would you guy's suggest for a high gain "warm" classic rock sound?

Rob: Try a vintage Amperex (or any tube from the Herleen, Holland factory). I love them in V1 of my C+ and Mark IV. Vintage Tung Sols mesh well with Marks for a smooth, well-balanced classic tone with guts. Mullards will give you a slightly darker but smooth tone.

dodger916 said:
Rob: Try a vintage Amperex (or any tube from the Herleen, Holland factory). I love them in V1 of my C+ and Mark IV. Vintage Tung Sols mesh well with Marks for a smooth, well-balanced classic tone with guts. Mullards will give you a slightly darker but smooth tone.

Thanks Frank! I'll like to try one of your Amperex tubes when we get together. I'll get a hold of you this week! Great info and I'll try it. I found my biggest problem was the power tubes. Tried a couple from my MKIV and I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back