Anyone tried a JAN GE 5751 preamp tube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi!

I own a Roadster and would like an even better clean tone. A seller suggested me the JAN GE 5751, a 30$ tube.

I was wondering if any of you guys ever tried it, in V2, 'cause that's where I would put it, since I don't want it to alter my dirt channels.

When I mean "better" I don't necesserely mean with less distortion or breakup, but with a twist, something smoother, creamier, you know.

The only reviews I've read is that it has 30% less gain or so, but in my mind, that doesn't affect the tone that much, since you can add more gain on the amp anyway.

Thanks guys, I'll look forward to your reply!

I have read nothing but good about this tube. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's supposed to be reliable as hell too. Haven't tried it myself though.

I only tried, and keep, a JAN Philips 5751. Just a perfect, PERFECT tube in V1 in my Fender ProJR. If that GE is not far from the Philips, buy it without any hesitation.
Clear, cristal without aggressivity, wide and open sound....

Thanks!

I understand, but I'm kind of afraid if it affects my lead channels... My amp is a Mesa Roadster, I play hard rock/alternative and need my heavy distortion to stay what it is right now, but would like my clean to be a little more smooth, well as said before. Any of you put it in V2? Someone that has a high gain amp?

Don't be afraid of putting a 5751 in V1. Less gain yes, but not so much. A 12AX7 has a gain about 100, a 5751 between 70 and 85.
For your lead channel, just turn the gain pot a bit more, and you'll still have the benefit of a more defined sound. And your clean channel (and crunch) would probably make you happier.

I put sylvania 5751 in my 60 watt C+ I had. not really a drop in gain, but I think there is more bass response with the 5751

try it out in a few spots... easy to plug and play

scott

Ok, it's just that it's expensive for a single tube, that's why I'm hesitating... considering I must ordered a full power retube kit at the same time.

Thanks ! If any of you would like to add anything, you're more than welcome!

fluff191,

You have put them in your Rectifier? If so, in which spot? And did it affect your dirt channel at all?

Thanks !

Any of you used this tube in a high gain amp like a Rectifier, Roadster, Roadking?

That's the kind of review I'm looking for

Thanks a lot! :)

Yes, and a Tremoverb too.

I am interested in tube rolling that will make my Tremoverb sing with musicality.

I love the bone crushing gain, but come on...a little MORE finesse is nice.

I say that because the Tremoverb already has a great clean and musical sound to it.

I just want to tweak it that is all.

I have Tung-Sol in V1 and a Jan Phillips AT7 in V6.

With 100 watts to play with I am sure placing a tube with a 30% reduction in gain would not effect my output to the point that I would not like it.

I do understand that this type of change may disappoint my gain expectation though...hey its a tube roll so just swap back the ones you like...anyhow let me know what you guys experienced and I will do the same.

I have two JAN GE 5751's. One in the Phase Inverter slot of my Mark IV and one in my VHT special 6 Ultra. Well worth the $30.

Could you guys tell me what it changed in the sound exactly? My purpose is to gain a better clean channel, but keep my dirt ones intact.

Feel free chime in! Thanks!

For the amount that a Mesa amp costs new or used, it is not wise to complain about spending 30 dollars for a tube that is better made than anything made today and likely much longer lasting. Only you will know whether it meets your tonal desires or not. GE made several types of 5751. The ones with the shiny black plates are brighter sounding than the gray plates with the green or white printing, including the 5 star units. They are also more expensive, nearer the 50 dollar mark and worth every penny. Don't worry about the 70 mu gain factor, heck, a short plate Sovtek is reportedly around 70-ish gain and it's supposed to be a 12ax7!

And back in the days when Mesa started making amps, the tubes that folks call NOS today were what Randall Smith had available to work with everyday...I've seen Siemens shortplate 12ax7's with Mesa labeling...they are "god" tubes compared with any new production, period...

Those JAN Philips have a big bottom and a crisp top end, they are a Sylvania long grayplate 12ax7 type. That tube design is prone to microphonics, so not the best choice for a first position for a given amp channel. But if you are wanting to use it in a first position you can get tube dampers to help reduce microphonics, or do up a home made one, two layers of one inch heatshrink tubing over the sides of the tube, make sure there is clearance for the socket shield mounting flange. If the tube with heatshrink can still fit inside the metal shield, that's good, the heat from being inside that shield will make the heatshrink more rubbery as the tube warms up, better for damping vibration.

Hey thanks for the feedback, but what about the JAN Philips 5751.

It is supposed to be lower gain.

So although it may be fashioned the same as a 12AX7 type tube, how does this one compare with the GE of the same denotation and output?

Maybe you already answered this for me in the previous post, I was just thrown a little by the 12AX7 reference and Sylvania reference as well.

Let me know what you think and thanks.

http://thetubestore.com/sylvania5751.html

Aaah, JAN Philips 5751...GE 5751??? Most JAN philips 5751's have short plates, most if not all JAN Philips 12ax7's (Sylvania builds) have the long plate.

Just effen do it. You won't be sorry by any means. Your ears should like both of those 5751 units, I also am fond of RCA blackplate 5751's. particularly well used ones. Most old stock tubes don't sound their best until they have a few hundred hours of usage, believe it or not.

In addition, 12at7 (6201 is mil stock version) have 60% gain of a 12ax7 and in some cases are dirt cheap compared to how expensive certain 12ax7's and 5751's are getting these days. That's not much different gain wise then the 5751. I stocked up a few years ago when they were less expensive, and now I still occasionally find diamond in the rough deals on fleabay. Just don't use the 12at7's in a cathode follower position. They won't last long there. I like using them in a first position for a given channel in a high gain preamp, they work well. Very few guitar amps use a cf in a first position for an amp channel. Also a good 12at7 will sometimes sound better than a 12ax7 in a Phase Inverter or reverb driver position. Keep on digging, reading, and learning all you can.

Latest posts

Back