Bright preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it depends on your amp. EH are really bright to my ears in my amp, and tungs sols are def darker.

those older GE tubes are a dime a dozen on ebay these days...or lot of times > 10$ for one :)

you can grab a couple...they're pretty transparent in the mids and treble and some i've found to have a touch more low end....

same with the sylvania tubes with the 12 holes in the plates that are ribbed side to side

546722166.jpg

i would suggest an RFT ;) but they're harder to find >20$

im sorry. i read this post wrong. i thought you wanted darker.

try a 7$ chinese 12ax7b.

Bear in mind that the 12AX7B is one hell of an aggressive tube, at least to my ears.

Anomaly said:
I tried Tung-Sol and EH, still lacks that Recto sizzle.. It's for my Randall RM22 and on there take on Recto Module Treadplate :mrgreen:
Maybe there not suppose to sound like a real recto :lol: but I will check on those GE tubes thanks!

The infamous Recto sizzle is from preamp AND poweramp design, it's just not going to happen with the Randall. You might get kinda close, and it may be close enough for your use, but it will not be the same.

But, good tubes are good tubes, no matter the circuit.

Good luck!

Dom

domct203 said:
Anomaly said:
I tried Tung-Sol and EH, still lacks that Recto sizzle.. It's for my Randall RM22 and on there take on Recto Module Treadplate :mrgreen:
Maybe there not suppose to sound like a real recto :lol: but I will check on those GE tubes thanks!

The infamous Recto sizzle is from preamp AND poweramp design, it's just not going to happen with the Randall. You might get kinda close, and it may be close enough for your use, but it will not be the same.

+1, when I still ran my TriAxis into the poweraamp in of my JVM I also noticed that "something" missing - got the 2:90 and lo and behold, Recto in da house!

Vintage tubes made in the Herleen, Holland plant. They manufactured for many companies including Amperex, Bugle Boy, Valvo, etc.. The "etch codes" are the key They are bright and articulate without being harsh, and reside in V1 in both my Mark amps. Here's a great resource for identifying these tubes, as well as other vintage tubes: http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo ECC83/ECC83.htm

I also love vintage Tung-Sols for a well-balanced sound.

Jackie said:
Bear in mind that the 12AX7B is one hell of an aggressive tube, at least to my ears.

+1

That's what I use in my ch triple right now in V2-V5, with a EH 12AX7 in V1. Gave me even more of that recto tone :mrgreen:

I too am in the Mesa and Randall families (Mark IV, RM22 and RM100).

Since the RM22 runs on a pair of EL84s you are never going to get a true Recto sound out of it - espcially cranked up because the EL84s start to break up and really dominate the tone.

I ordered 5 Newpro Tungsols and auditioned them to find *one* which was really awesome out of the group. The rest were average or worse.

I got 1 GrooveTubes Gold Chinese, and it kicked the good Tungsols arse.

+2 for the $7 cheap chinese 12AX7B

I'm running a whole slew of old Mesa labeled chinese tubes from the 80's and it sounds t-i-g-h-t. Also a TAD 12AX7C (selected chinese, cryo treated) in V1. Digging the bright sound in the preamp for recording and live from the Mark III. Lots of definition.

Back