Correct STR415's for MKIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luca79

Reaction score
What are the best STR415's for a 60/100 Watts MKIIC+ with the X101 export transformer?
Are the color codes important?

I also saw these ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-Sylvania-6L6GC-STR-415-Special-Design-6L6-Tubes-/220791639290?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3368350cfa

Will a matched quad of these sound exactly the same as the Mesa labeled 415's ?

Well, please educate me a little on the subject, many thanks!

These tubes (Sylvania 6L6GC) are the ones Mesa labelled as STR415. However, not all Sylvania 6L6's fell within Mesa's operating specs. The ones that did were labelled STR415. When buying a non-Mesa labelled Sylvania, it's important to get a pair that run in Mesa's operating range (for a given amp and tube sockets) for idle current draw measured in milliamps (ma) at the proper plate voltage.

I've seen this seller's tubes before and have been tempted to buy from him, but it seems ALL his Sylvanias test in the mid 40's for ma, which seems unusual to me. He also suggests that current draw is a function of age in that he states new ones draw in the 40s and the minimum is 27. It has been my understanding that current draw is not necessarily a function of age, meaning new tubes can draw in the 20s. For these reasons I haven't bought tubes from him.

Hope this helps!

To compare, my Sylvania 6L6's are the 387's (the one's made technically for Fender, but I have a Peavey pair as well that are from the 80's) and they biased very cold in my Mark III. Even with overwhelming master volumes, they just scoff until you ramp up the lead master as well. Dodger's comment stands to reason as other bias stats serve as well that they all seem a little cold for the STR-415's with my 387's being a touch colder beind made for Fender's unique clean tone. The single halo getter Sylvania 6L6's (the one's the STR-440's are modeled after), i'm not so sure about. My Ruby MSTR's (STR-440) seem to take a beating by comparison and saturate at faaaar less volume. To me this would definitely equate to way more tube wear.

I'm still tempted to get a quad of STR415's for my MKIIC+ in place of the STR440's it has now.... would the difference in sound be obvious, or marginal ?

Luca79 said:
I'm still tempted to get a quad of STR415's for my MKIIC+ in place of the STR440's it has now.... would the difference in sound be obvious, or marginal ?
I could certainly hear the difference/improvement, but I'd say it's more subtle than dramatic. You could easily sell them if you don't think they're worth it.

The STR-440's get fuzzy to me, whereas the Sylvania's don't and stay clear. It is a subtle but noticeable difference. The miles and miles of headroom, amazing clean tones, and promise of years of tube life were worth it to me. If you do any recordings, you can hear the difference.

Edit, if your C+ is a simulclass i've head that the Winged C EL34's are supposed to be the best on earth. Mesa used to sell Siemens (Telefunken/RFT) EL34's as STR-450's. Dunno if they have any left, but in the back of my 40th anniversary catalog they advertised them...That would be the other primo alternative.

http://store.mesahollywood.com/750609.html

dodger916 said:
Luca79 said:
I could certainly hear the difference/improvement, but I'd say it's more subtle than dramatic. You could easily sell them if you don't think they're worth it.

+1 on that,

plus your amp will thank you, the 415's should last 1000's of hours, and are very durable.

scott

zodiac272 said:
dodger916 said:
Luca79 said:

+1 on that,

plus your amp will thank you, the 415's should last 1000's of hours, and are very durable.

scott

+1 because I just bought a C+ that has the original (I'm guessing) 415's in it and they sound awesome!

SonicProvocateur said:
Mesa used to sell Siemens (Telefunken/RFT) EL34's as STR-450's. Dunno if they have any left, but in the back of my 40th anniversary catalog they advertised them...That would be the other primo alternative.

http://store.mesahollywood.com/750609.html

+1 bought a pair several years back when they were $70, now @ $150. In one word amazing!. I now have =C= EL-34's, I love them, but IMO the STR-450's were better.

Back