Help for player with Nomad 45

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I stumbled onto this site and perhaps i'll find a home here.. I use a nomad 45/1-12 and i just can't seem to get that clean sound at higher volume in channel one. I am running master at 8-9 and gain way down 2-3 output vol at 12 oclock. trb 5, bass 2, mid 2, prs 5-6 . My question would be should i replace stock boogie tubes..? Get ext 1/12 cab ? I love the sound of 6l6s .. could i use yellow jackets with 6l6 in my amp ? Im i asking too much from this amp ? Other than the lack of bottom end and slight breakup at higher volume i love this old boogie.. Thanks..

Unfortunately, Yellowjackets only go in the other direction:
6L6 to El-84.
You could try 7189 power tubes, which are a military version of the EL-84.
Here's a bunch on eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=7189+tube&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Or try a higher wattage and/or more efficient speaker. Efficiency is usually measured in the one watt @ one foot sound pressure level, as in "97 dB", or "100 dB", or "103 dB", etc. Higher numbers being better in this case.
Try a 5751 pre-amp tube in place of the 12AX7 in the V1 slot.
My $.02.

Thanks for the help.. Im using a old EV SRO not the coffee can but the big fin est 1983.. I had a Tube amp Builder tell me use a lower gain tube in that slot to clean it up.. I had the prem mesa that have the black rubber band around and are suppose to have less harmonic noise and cost twice the price , I still can't get the clean volume up to par with no break up on the clean channel. I bought a the twin last week and it was damaged in transit FEDX so im trying to make the Nomad work.. Any idea's on a boogie with great twin like clean and big 6l6 over drive.. think 80s Ha..lol i've been researching Express 550 vs F50 .. The nomad 45 is the only boogie i've ever owned.. Thanks again.

I think you just hit the head of the nail directly with the hammer. I don't think you will get a 6L6 sound from an EL84 amp which traditionally will sound more brittle. Fender "twins" are like the standard for cleans so it wouldn't be fair to compare this amp to a twin. I'm assuming the extreme switch on the back is not thown. This will disconnect the negative feedback and cause the amp to break up much sooner. When the extreme switch is not engaged you will get much cleaner headroom. - Pat.

Thanks pat.. I really don't expect the twin sound just cleaner and more headroom while doing it.. It's weird we were playing a gig in a huge club.. I had been messing moving tubes around when i put the SRO EV in the nomad and lo and behold.. TONS of Clean Clean Headroom.. Id never been able to crank the Bass tone up past 3 to preserve structure .. All the sudden this little amp can do everything i wanted big bottom. tight clean.. that j.Hendrix type lil riffs don't break up .. Im like Wow.. Im calling everyone .. so were into the first set and it's all good.. then i switch to the second channel for a overdriven solo .. ----- huh yep no sound well almost .. I turn channel 2 all the way up still not enough to be heard.. so i've got a great Channel one .. but no 2-3 lol.. i don't use pedals for overdrive except for ACDC type stuff.. so the next day im changing tubes putting new ones in.. It fixed channel 2-3 but i lost my clean headroom.. I was going to ship it to boogie .. Not a sub station.. a friend suggested this tube amp guy who said put JJ in v1-v2 ECC81 in place of the SPAX7 mesa preamp tubes in V1/V2.. The lower power tubes cleaned it up .. but lost it's zing.. I've heard this amp do what i want but only once .. Im thinking perhaps this is a Dirty pot or some kinda output problem.. I replaced all the power and preamp tubes .. So now im trying to decide since the crash of the twin i bought .. Buy another twin ? Find a Express 550 2/12 or F50 2/12.. Music man ? I only really need Two channels .. Are there any Nomad 45 1/12 owners out there who can help..? Am i spending 1000.00 dollars on a 100.00 show ? lol.. thanks everyone.. time to go to the real JOB>>

You mentioned that you had the gain at 2 or 3… do you mean 2 or 3 o’clock? or 2 or 3 as in pretty low?

I run my gain at about 1 o’clock, my master at 12-1 o’clock and then adjust the output to the venue

Playing a strat deluxe for rock and blues, and I have more clean volume than I know what to do with

If I was playing outside without PA support, I suppose that would need to add another 1x12 cab, but other than that, it is heaven.

I have had this Nomad 45 1x12 for about 6 months now and I am loving more and more every day.

Well i also failed to mention after the tube tech guy talked me into the ECC81 In the V1/V2 it did clean up but took my output level down quite a bit.. The reverb tank was not hooked up at this point , I was in a hurry because i was going to buy or at least try to win the Fender the twin on ebay.. So we're playing friday nite at calhouns on the river in ktown.. When i hit the reverb switch.. I had plugged it in after getting the amp home.. It starts sqalling and also when i turn the output on the amp above 11 oclock same thing.. I unhook the tank and it stops.. Ugh im now going to go back and start from scratch with the old tubes and replace one by one.. I just put all new boogie tubes in power as well as preamp.. Thanks for all the help..

Latest posts

Back