Need help : \

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently using that tube for my reverb driver in my Mark IV. It is a nice tube. My amps design calls for a 12at7 there. The newer Mark IV calls for a 12ax7.

You should be sure to review your tube compliment as called out by Mesa first. Then start making changes within their parameters first. Later you can start playing around with tube type changes if you feel it necessary or find them compatible.

As far as using a mixed bag of tubes it should be fine provided that you are using the proper type for the circuit. By this I mean as long as you are using a 12ax7, ecc83, ecc803, cv4004, 7025 etc. in a socket expecting a 12ax7 you should have no problems. It is when you present the circuit with something drastically different that you begin to experience problems. As long as you buy from people that know what the tubes are until you get comfortable enough to just buy them on your own you should be fine. Actually it is often found that if you talk to your vendor and tell them what you are looking for that they can make the proper recommendations for you and save you some headache and money. Beware though that some will try to push certain tubes that they want to get rid of instead of the actual tube that you want. Do some reading and research on your tube types and the different offerings from the different manufacturers. This is invaluable and quite interesting reading if you really are interested in your tubes. You might find that you are into something different than the rest of the typical tube amp users. Playing with your tubes can often lead to unique tone. Just be prepared for the cost of the GAS as certain tubes can be rather pricey.

Russ said:
I am currently using that tube for my reverb driver in my Mark IV. It is a nice tube.

As far as using a mixed bag of tubes it should be fine provided that you are using the proper type for the circuit. By this I mean as long as you are using a 12ax7, ecc83, ecc803, cv4004, 7025 etc. in a socket expecting a 12ax7 you should have no problems. It is when you present the circuit with something drastically different that you begin to experience problems. As long as you buy from people that know what the tubes are until you get comfortable enough to just buy them on your own you should be fine. Actually it is often found that if you talk to your vendor and tell them what you are looking for that they can make the proper recommendations for you and save you some headache and money. Beware though that some will try to push certain tubes that they want to get rid of instead of the actual tube that you want. Do some reading and research on your tube types and the different offerings from the different manufacturers. This is invaluable and quite interesting reading if you really are interested in your tubes. You might find that you are into something different than the rest of the typical tube amp users. Playing with your tubes can often lead to unique tone. Just be prepared for the cost of the GAS as certain tubes can be rather pricey.

thank you so much! appreciate your help!

Latest posts

Back