SED Tube Roll

Talk about tubes and their effect on your tone

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

swbo101
Mark III

Re: SED Tube Roll

Post by swbo101 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am

I have a 6L6/EL34 =C= in my Mark IV and really like them alot. They are a bit pricy for new production though. Still it's like someone removed a blanket off my speakers. Much clearer sound. I'd like to try all 6L6's in my amp, but just need to scrape up some cash first. I've bought serveral tubes lately (nothing great), and these were the best.
1991 Mark IV A

RussB
Mark III

Post by RussB » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 pm

What's this talk about SED tubes requiring some sort of break-in period? Where did that myth originate?

I've installed many SED 6L6's and EL34's in my amps, and the amps of many of my customers. I have never heard them "break-in" or had anyone make such claims to me. Consider me perplexed? :?

J.J
Mark IV

Post by J.J » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:34 pm

I suspect it has more to do with ears than tubes. User break in. If I play a Strat all week and then pick up a Les Paul, the LP never seems to sound right again for days. Then the Strat sounds off until I get used to it again.

I noticed a massive difference changing from Mesa 6l6 to SED, but have not heard any change in those tubes after 150 hours. I am going to get a spare set soon and will compare the brand new ones with my used set to see if they have changed or not. I am betting not.
Triple Crown 50 combo
Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic heads
Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

TremoJem
Mark III

Post by TremoJem » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 am

I am just a newbie and don't claim to really know what the hell I am talking about.

I was told to expect a break in period. I was also told that at about 100 hours the SED 6L6s would blow me away.

Being a newbie might have something to do with me being easily influenced by others that I presume to be knowledgeable about the subject, so maybe that plays a lot into the mix.

My findings are what they are, and I stand by that.

My new SED 6L6s have about 22 hours on them and they really are sounding nice.

My even newer SED EL34s have about 2 hours on them and they are incredible sounding already...GO FIGURE.

I wish I could trade the 6L6s for another set of the EL34s.

Oh well.

I have two Tremoverbs that I run these in.

Sorry if my ears and experience with rolling tubes are not up to par.
Ibanez Jem 7VWH > Bad Horsie II Wah > Radial JX-2 ABY Switch > Two Tremoverb Combos
Mesa Channel Switch DTDP & Mesa FXLoop Switch DTDP
TC Electronic G-Major & Ernie Ball Volume Pedal & Behringer FCB 1010
Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

swbo101
Mark III

Post by swbo101 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 am

The only thing I can think about, when people talk about a "break in" period for tubes is, The excess gases in the tubes. I'm sure I read somewhere that during that period the gas excess gets burned off resulting in a different sound. That's what I've read, can't say if it's true or not.
1991 Mark IV A

TremoJem
Mark III

Post by TremoJem » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 am

Interesting.

I do not know.

The technician at TubeDepot spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with me over several phone calls during a three to four week period as I explored all the "rolling" possibilities out there.

During this time period I was reading hundreds of posts on the subject and trying to come to a consensus with regards to expectations when taking into account my Tremverbs and my own ear.

It is almost impossible to read someones opinion about what they use in their respective amps and how it relates to what they hear and then apply it to any given situation let alone your own.

If you take into consideration all the variables...hmmm even the room variability plays a huge role in this equation.

So imagine everything else that lends itself to perception and interpretation...so it is very difficult to draw a conclusion short of a view from 30,000 feet.

Having said that, I took the plunge.

The 6L6s sounded very cold. My strings felt like stiff cables.

Now my strings feel flexible and the sound is warm. I am hoping they will open up more and deliver a more shimmering, chimey, belltone sound with a few more hours of play.

Whereas the EL34s sound incredible after only two hours of play.

Just a newbie report so don't bash my learning process...LOL.
Ibanez Jem 7VWH > Bad Horsie II Wah > Radial JX-2 ABY Switch > Two Tremoverb Combos
Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

J.J
Mark IV

Post by J.J » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 am

TremoJem, I don't think you need to apologise for anythying. Even people with a lot of experience get things wrong.

It doesn't really matter if it is your perception or the tubes that change. I was just trying to show that often we assume that its our gear when it is also entirely possible our organic human brains have as much to do with it.

Glad to hear you are getting towards what you want without having spent a fortune. I was expecting to have to go through a pile of tubes myself, but got lucky first time with the SED 6L6. Still looking for that ultimate 12ax7 though :roll:
Triple Crown 50 combo
Electra Dyne and Royal Atlantic heads
Express 5:25 1x12 combo
JCM800 2203
Deluxe reverb reissue
Traditional 2x12, 4x10 and 23" 1x12 cabs.

TremoJem
Mark III

Post by TremoJem » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:45 am

Thank you JJ.

I appreciate it.

I do agree with you regarding our own ears hearing what may not be there etc.

I too am going to move onto the preamp section once I settle the output section once and for all.

I really want to be sure I am familiar enough with the changes to the output before I jump into the preamp section.

I think I will swap the output tubes in my two Tremoverbs to see if the perception I have of them follows the tubes or stays with the amps.

That will prove interesting.

I have some new Tung-Sol 12AX7 New Production tubes and some 12AT7WC JAN Philips that I want to roll after I get settled on the output tubes.

I will post my findings.

Thanks again JJ.
Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

Jackie
Mark IV

Post by Jackie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Nice that the SEDs sound good after all, that's what matters, right? :mrgreen:

I'm not surprised the EL34s sound good - I agree completely, I have had them in my Marshall since day 1 and they still kick ass. Also, my tech built his own custom amp and he put SED 6L6s in his power section and his amp kicks ass in megatons, so I gotta love this brand !! :lol:

If you're looking for the ultimate current production 12AX7, I can recommend the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. Great preamp tube. warm and musical. Only problem is that it's not suitable for high-voltage positions (like cathode follower). I'm also fond of Chinese Shuguang factory 12AX7s (rebranded by TAD, Ruby, GrooveTubes and can also be bought as a factory direct item "Shuguang 12AX7B") - these you can stick anywhere and they are more on the aggressive side but that's exactly why I like 'em. I don't like JJs at all (at least in my Marshall), they're too gainy and have this wierd upper mid "thing".

I love reading these tube threads because my Mesa sounds great already as it is, but the tubes in there are sub-par IMO (ESPECIALLY the power tubes). I can't wait to retube it and smile like an idiot!!!
GUITARS: heavily modded Epi Goth Explorer; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier CV Tele
AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

TremoJem
Mark III

Post by TremoJem » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:11 pm

I know what you mean.

i found this months ago.

I am now addicted.

But only while not playing.
Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

swbo101
Mark III

Post by swbo101 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Try your Tung-Sol new production in V1. I'm been doing that for a while, changed my amp completely, for the better.
1991 Mark IV A