Better tubes allow for more release of overtones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talltxguy

Reaction score
I put some NOS tubes in my Roadster and just couldn't beleive what a difference in tone they made. What really struck me was the whole 3-D thing that I've read about and hadn't experienced - until now.

It would seem to me that better tubes somehow allow for more release of overtones. Is this how it works? Or is it that the poorer tubes somehow stifle the overtones. I'm assuming the 3-D thing is hearing more overtones...am I right on that?

how spent were the tubes you replaced? I do love nos tubes, but more for reliability, the tone is good too.

scott

talltxguy said:
I put some NOS tubes in my Roadster and just couldn't beleive what a difference in tone they made. What really struck me was the whole 3-D thing that I've read about and hadn't experienced - until now.

It would seem to me that better tubes somehow allow for more release of overtones. Is this how it works? Or is it that the poorer tubes somehow stifle the overtones. I'm assuming the 3-D thing is hearing more overtones...am I right on that?
Yes, yes and yes. Welcome to the club :).

It does seem that the harmonics are just lost in average tubes. I had wondered if the tubes people seem to like were generating the harmonics, but after getting some good tubes I am sure the harmonics were just being lost.

The 3D thing is probably a result of the more hifi like performance. I have heard people decscribe this as "vivid tone colours" in the hifi world so I am not sure those guys know what is going on either. I have only ever heard good tube amps do this and it just makes me want to keep playing or listening for ever :D

Thanks for the replies, guys. The sound is phenomenal, but I also find myself interested in learning about tubes. :) If Fenders sound better than my Tweed channel, then Fenders must have been made with some divine intervention. :lol:

Zodiac, the tubes I had in the amp were stock Mesas with about 50 hours on them. I had a new generation Tung-Sol in V1, which was better than the stock tube. I replaced the V1 & V6 with NOS Jans & put 9th gen Chinese equivalent Ruby's in V3 & V5. I also replaced the JJ rectifiers with NOS RCA's.

I didn't bother replacing the stock V5 because I don't use the effects loop. The reverb driver contains a JJ ECC81, which I'll eventually replace with a NOS ECC81.

talltxguy said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. .....
..... The reverb driver contains a JJ ECC81, which I'll eventually replace with a NOS ECC81.

You gotta check out the Mullard CV4024 (aka ECC81)... in that position this specific Mullard is awesome!

Yes, better tubes provide a harmonic output that is more pleasing to the ears. The mix of harmonics varies from brand to brand within the same tube type. That's why it's a good thing to practice tube rolling even if you already think your amp sounds great. Great vintage tubes sound great in a decent amp/cab or combo, and fantastic in a great amp/cab/ or combo, but I'm more careful about microphonic properties in a combo situation, which IMO is a more destructive environment for a tube to operate in, particularly as power climbs up over 10 watts and preamp gain gets goosed up. What is the difference in good vs. great amp? Parts quality, layout, and lead dress. And yes, there is such a thing as a great PCB constructed amp. Does not absolutely need to be a point to point, turret or eyelet board design, even though I vastly prefer same.

Triaxstasy said:
talltxguy said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. .....
..... The reverb driver contains a JJ ECC81, which I'll eventually replace with a NOS ECC81.

You gotta check out the Mullard CV4024 (aka ECC81)... in that position this specific Mullard is awesome!
+1. I love this tube as a phase inverter/driver.

another vote for the mullard 4024. really, sounds great in any position, but superb as a PI or reverb tube.

if you're wanting to tame your gain, depending on your amp, v1 or v2 or 3...hell, try one in all slots. they resale pretty close to retail even used.

I finally got around to ordering one of those Mullards. I do prefer it to a few NOS 12AX7's that I had in the phase inverter position. The amp doesn't feedback as much, I've got more useable gain, and things are smoother. I see no reason why I would need to go back to a 12AX7 in the phase inverter.

Thanks for the advice!

awesome man. yeah, i really like that tube in the pi position too.

Latest posts

Back