Removed a couple tubes, now problems....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzBoog

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I just took two power tubes out of my 3 chan dual rec because 100 watts is way too loud.
50 watts sounds far more to my liking.
I took the middle two out, leaving the outer two.
Played through the amp for a while and all was fine.
Switched the amp to standby and went off and did some things, when I came back later the amp had shut off.
Tried turning the power switch off then back on, nothing.
Rectifier switch is set to "Normal".
Power switch is set to "Bold".
Have I done something idiotic here for this to be happening?
Cheers.

**Quick update. I unplugged power cable from the head and took the fuse out and screwed it back in, and the amp started working again when I powered it back up.
It just shut off again though now for no reason. Anyone have any ideas?

**Update part 2. I've been reading the Mesa Manual (Who would have thunk it?) and it says if you are going to remove two tubes to cut power by 50% you also need to remove one Rectifier tube to compensate. I'll try this. It's probably overloading.

maybe also switch to the solid state rectifier to see if you get good tone, and maybe you can eliminate the rec. tubes, see if they have an issue

scott

You should also plug your cabinet to an output half from his value. If your cab is 8 ohms, plug it to the 4 ohm output. As the output tranny's primary "see" a doubled load because you remove two tubes (works in //, so half tubes means double load), the tranny's secondary must "see" a doubled charge too.

Back