New Production Tung-Sol EL34B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these? Thoughts? Opinions? How do they compare with the SED Winged C EL34's?

Thanks

swbo101 said:
Has anyone tried these? Thoughts? Opinions? How do they compare with the SED Winged C EL34's?

Thanks

I have the new tung sol El34Bs in my Framus Dragon. I really like the tube. They have the bbottom end of a 6L6 tube, but also have the nice EL34 crunch. They are very articulate. At least on the Dragon, you can forget about chimey cleans, but you can get a nice warm jazz kind of clean. Having said all this, the SED Winged C EL 34s are supposed to be the best sounding EL34 available.

I run a pair of these in my Ace and they sound really good. They tame the brightness a little and give a little bass back on the bottom. They've held up remarkably well. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys. I'm looking at some new EL34s to throw into my Mark IV. Prior, I had the NOS Siemens that mesa had (STR-450). They were great. At the time I paid $70 for a pair but now they are up to $150. I recently purchased their STR-447, just as a backup. However I heard some really good reviews of the newer Tung-Sol and of course the =C= EL34s.

Much appreciated.

Hard to explain for me, but the high gain is fuller and richer sounding with the TS compared to the JJs I recently replaced.

droptrd said:
Hard to explain for me, but the high gain is fuller and richer sounding with the TS compared to the JJs I recently replaced.

+1

I really want to try these in my roadster. I have JJ KT77's and they are pretty dark...

at times it feels like i'm not cutting even when the treble is dialed pretty high

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
I really want to try these in my roadster. I have JJ KT77's and they are pretty dark...

at times it feels like i'm not cutting even when the treble is dialed pretty high

Could be... I ordered some time ago the K77 high-gain kit from Eurotubes for my Single Recto and the tone became dark. I decided to swap for some different tubes and it sounded better.

Back