Feel I've Been Had - NOS

Talk about tubes and their effect on your tone

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

yeti
Mark II

Re: Feel I've Been Had - NOS

Post by yeti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

ebay tube-ing can be a LOT of fun.
just check the dude's feedback...most people with good feedback ratings and NO negatives in the past month or two, with a lot of good feedback in the last month, esp about tubes, are fine to buy from.
im so addicted, it's not even funny. i got myself a cheap tube tester, learned how to use it, and..im SO addicted.

topcat0399
Mark III

Post by topcat0399 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 pm

yeti wrote:ebay tube-ing can be a LOT of fun.
just check the dude's feedback...most people with good feedback ratings and NO negatives in the past month or two, with a lot of good feedback in the last month, esp about tubes, are fine to buy from.
im so addicted, it's not even funny. i got myself a cheap tube tester, learned how to use it, and..im SO addicted.

addiction can become an affliction
Me -------> 1973 Gibson Les Paul Standard------->1991 Mesa Boogie Mark IVa/b Combo -------> World.

yeti
Mark II

Post by yeti » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:51 pm

tubes are better than most anything else i could be "addicted" to though!

at least from an outside looking in perspective!

Martin
Mark II

Post by Martin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am

I highly recommend Mark at the Tube Museum on Ebay. He is friendly, very, very helpful and if you have any issue what so ever with a purchase he goes way out of his way to help.
I just bought a 1957 Tungsol toaster plate 5751. It didn't suit my amp (MK3) but the tone was absolutely amazing, just didn't like the noise. We eventually swapped it for a 1960 O-getter 5751 and it's just fantastic, the spank off this thing would knock you off your chair and the bell like quality to each note is astounding. He is without a doubt great to deal with and you can rest easy on your purchase.

topcat0399
Mark III

Post by topcat0399 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Martin wrote:I highly recommend Mark at the Tube Museum on Ebay. He is friendly, very, very helpful and if you have any issue what so ever with a purchase he goes way out of his way to help.
I just bought a 1957 Tungsol toaster plate 5751. It didn't suit my amp (MK3) but the tone was absolutely amazing, just didn't like the noise. We eventually swapped it for a 1960 O-getter 5751 and it's just fantastic, the spank off this thing would knock you off your chair and the bell like quality to each note is astounding. He is without a doubt great to deal with and you can rest easy on your purchase.

Welcome to the thread late comer!

I'll be checking that tube store you mentioned. Thanks!

I still haven't settled on a cocktail yet - its a process.

Some of the tubes I've purchased so far sound pretty good but occasionally pick local radio stations!

The tube rolling will continue until tone improves.....
Me -------> 1973 Gibson Les Paul Standard------->1991 Mesa Boogie Mark IVa/b Combo -------> World.

yeti
Mark II

Post by yeti » Thu May 12, 2011 8:52 am

have you tried an RFT in v1?

topcat0399
Mark III

Post by topcat0399 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 pm

yeti wrote:have you tried an RFT in v1?

I haven't......yet. I have a couple in the Que tho.

Right now I still have a NOS Tungsol in there .....for like 5 or 6 gigs now.

Next week I'll stick the RFT in there and leave it for a few gigs and see how it goes.

It's really hard to judge overall behavior of a tube roll without playing the change thru a few different venues.

Opps, just checked my list - haven't bought any RFT's yet. I'll get on it.