Sovtek 6L6WXT+ vs. Winged "C" 6L6GC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cesjr

Reaction score
After a few weeks having a new set of Chinese 6L6's in my Mark IV I have to swap them out. They're far too noisy and I just don’t like their tone.

The two different tubes I'm considering are the Sovtek 6L6WXT+, and the Winged "C" 6L6GC. I've read good things about both. But how do they compare to each other? Does anyone any experience with both?

Thanks

Here's another question for your tube experts. Are the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes the same as mesa's STR 430's? My Mark IV came stock with STR-430's, and I really liked them. But I've heard many say the SED 6L6's sound similar to the STR-430's but better.

Too slow guys. :oops: :lol:

Okay I'm only kidding. But I was a little impatient so I went ahead and purchased a matched quad Svetlana (Winged "C") 6L6's. I've just heard, and "read" far too many great things about these. Maybe I'll find time to give a tone report after I get them.

Cheers

fatboy135 said:
without any doubt "c" tubes

I'll Second that ...SED Winged C...

If those are your only choices...Personally I do Like the JJ 6L6's those are my #1 choice. Second is the SED's. Third is the GT 6L6 GE's

hey mike, good girls on your verde website ;)
I´m too british so I don´t like so much the 6l6, even the el34, they are too loud for me... my favorites tubes are the el84, anyway the jj, the "c" or the eh are very good 6l6, try them

I'll Second that ...SED Winged C...

If those are your only choices...

JJ 6L6's are another tube that I'm interested in trying. Maybe next re-tube, but it would be nice comparing both JJ and SED one right after another.

From what I've heard, the SED 6L6's seem to be what I'm looking for.

fatboy135 said:
hey mike, good girls on your verde website ;)
I´m too british so I don´t like so much the 6l6, even the el34, they are too loud for me... my favorites tubes are the el84, anyway the jj, the "c" or the eh are very good 6l6, try them

Did you like that? I love my girls! Oh yeah... and 6L6's (staying on topic)

Back on topic... :wink: I was finally able to push the Svetlana Winged "C" tubes today, and here's the verdict. They sound amazing! I'm not good at describing tonal nuances so I'll spare you. However I do know great tone when I hear it.

By the way I purchased these from thetubestore.com. They're absolutely wonderful to deal with, I just told them what I wanted and my order was promptly shipped to my door. They sent me a match quad "perfect pair number" (21).

cesjr

So how do they compare to the 430s?

I have EL-34wxts in my Ampeg and they sound pretty run of hte mill. I think that the wxt is a label for ruggedized tube like the wa/wb/wc in the 12ax7s but for power tubes. I can't hear any real advantage to having them. They have been in there for quite a while though. Maybe it is time to change them so I can use them in the Mark IV. I need a reason to play the Ampeg now anyway.

Hey Russ, sorry I forgot to reply to your original thread. I liked the 430's a lot. Those were in my Mark IV when I bought it. Of course I'm going off of memory. What I can tell you is that my Mark IV has never sounded better! I wish I could compare the Winged "C" tubes with a fresh set of Sovteks.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and give you more help.

cesjr

cesjr said:
After a few weeks having a new set of Chinese 6L6's in my Mark IV I have to swap them out. They're far too noisy and I just don’t like their tone.

The two different tubes I'm considering are the Sovtek 6L6WXT+, and the Winged "C" 6L6GC. I've read good things about both. But how do they compare to each other? Does anyone any experience with both?

The Sovtek 6L6WXT+ (a.k.a. STR 430) may sound okay in a Mark IV, but this tube sounds like crap in a Recto. The STR 440 kept me from reselling a Rect-O-Verb head that I purchased second hand with 430s installed. The frequency response on the 430 is extremely scooped.

Thanks for the responses to the question guys.

I don't think that the scooped neature will affect the Mark IV because of the onbaord eq being able to adjust the sound.

I might have to try the C's later, but I would like to try the 430 first so I won't have to order the C's and hope noone screws up the order. I can get the 430's locally.

I have to get my Mullard EL34s too for the JMP so I might have to postpone the 6L6s temporarily.

I wasn't aware that the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ is the same tube as mesa's relabeled STR-430, although I was aware they were Sovtek tubes. For some reason I was under the impression the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ was something "new."

I'm glad I opted for the Winged "C" tubes because I purchased my Mark IV with STR-430's and already know what they sound like. Overall I'm much happier with the Winged C's.

cesjr

Latest posts

Back