Tungsol 12ax7 re-issue V1-V6?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer81

Reaction score
Anyone tried reissue tungsol 12ax7s in every preamp position in a roadster?
Many uses them in V1-V3, but anyone tried them in every position, i have one in V1 now, and sounds nice... Been thinking of buying more and trying out :eek:

I think it would be too much of a good thing. I REALLY like the Tung Sol in V1....EH 12AX7s sounds great in the other positions IMO.

Eric

Ive tried it. I know they are known for being a gainy tube, but when I put them in 2-3-4-5, It seemed to have less gain and a dry feel. Didnt like it. Went back to just a TS in V1

Avoid them in any cathode-follower positions. I don't know which these in the Roadster are but in the standard Dual Rectifier they're V3 and V4. They have a high failure rate in these positions, and can make the amp sound bad (usually weak and muffled, or sometimes oddly harsh) even if they don't fail outright.

This applies to most Russian-made 12AX7s - it's because the cathode to filament voltage rating is often under-spec.

94Tremoverb said:
Avoid them in any cathode-follower positions. I don't know which these in the Roadster are but in the standard Dual Rectifier they're V3 and V4. They have a high failure rate in these positions, and can make the amp sound bad (usually weak and muffled, or sometimes oddly harsh) even if they don't fail outright.

This applies to most Russian-made 12AX7s - it's because the cathode to filament voltage rating is often under-spec.

I can vouch for this. I have had several Tung-Sol failures in my Electra Dyne, primarilly in V4. I am now using standard JJ ECC 83's in all locations. So far so good. The tone is very good with these and I have had no problems and I'm pretty sure they are Russian made.

Next week I'll be ordering a complete set of JJ ECC803s gold pins and SED Black Sable SED 6L6GC's for my ED. This may be special.

I have a Tung-Sol in V1 with Shuguang Silver Dragons in the rest of the amp. Really dig the Tung-Sol in V1.

As Eric said, EH's are wonderful tubes to. Not a huge fan of JJ's.

Tungsol in V1
Penta Labs in V2
Sovtek in V3
JJ in V4
blank tube with blackened tip in V5

anyone know what or how you can tell what a blank preamp tube is?

I'd say take a pic of the tube and post it here if you can so we could compare it to others we have (you could tell by the plate structure/getters)
or you could compare it with other pics online, just my $.02 :D

will do that as soon as I find my digicam charger!

note- there is the number "6" in the glass on the bottom of the tube

that mean anything?

i've had some of the tungsol's fail in my mark's: sux. i'm going try using them in only v1 & v2 for a while & see if the reliability goes up. If they didn't sound so good i'd give up on them though.

Back