Winged C or not Winged C?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfujews

Reaction score
Just wondering if it was worth putting a matched quad of Svetlana Winged C 6L6GC in my Boogie MKIV? I've just replaced my Mesa Boogie STR430s with 4 matched Electro Harmonix 6L6EH and must admit they sound great - much more harmonic response and tight bottom end in comparison to the much more expensive mesa tubes. But...never one to be happy - my friend has just replaced his tubes with some cryo treated Winged C's and they sound class...I've now got tube envy! I've asked if he'll swap but he won't. After already spending a fortune this month on tubes - replaced all V positions with Spax7s not to mention the Electro Harmonix tubes- I was wondering if the Winged C's were actually worth the divorce papers?

Why not get two and run them in class A to get a feel for how they will sound before taking the plunge on a matched quad?

Please correct me if I am wrong (admittedly very possible) but aren't the STR430s made by Electro Harmonix (which are actually Sovtek)?
They have the "stepped" base indicative of this....... :?:
I know at least some of the Mesa variants were.

For example, I know the 427's were Chinese made. I thought the 430's were the Sovtek - Russian made EH's.
Perhaps not....?

If they are the same, the bias point could differ enough to affect the sound significantly; hopefully they are close enough in range not to harm your amp.

As far as winged C, I use their el34's in my Ace and really like them!
They have a very clear tone. :D
I like them better than the stock Mesa or Groove Tube.

Good luck :D

Yeah - the 430s are definitely Russian and could even be the same valve...although the Electro Harmonix EH's are apparently improved versions - larger plate or something according to eurotubes anyway! My STR430s were a couple of years old which may account for the improved tone on the Electro Harmonix valves: they definitely do have more bottom end! I also had the valves matched and tested professionally before having them installed at the same time as having my amp serviced and PAT tested...the STR430s were 'red' and these EH's are supposedly damned close. I also like the idea of running in class a and trying a matched duet before buying! Thanks for the responses guys - definitely food for thought!

Winged C 6L6's rock! That's all I use in my Mesa's. Mesa used to use these and labeled them STR454's and to me, are the next best
thing to the mighty STR415's. Get them!

I tried and liked 'em. Now I have a set of SED =C= 6L6's for my MKV and Rectifier. I only ever swap out some EL34's in the MKV if I want a more mid centric tone for classic metal and creamy Mark sounding leads. I have JJ EL34's at the moment. Will be upgrading to SED =C= soon enough for my EL34's as well. Great tube.

I haven't tried the Winged C 6L6s, but, my God, their EL34s are awesome. Even at low volumes, they had a dramatic positive effect on the tone of my Mark V. They fattened the amp right up and smoothed out the top end.

The first time I bought the SED =C= 6L6GC tubes was for my Heartbreaker. At that point my wife said I can sell all the other amps because it just sounded outstanding. Now don't tell her I said this; she was right. :oops: So I got some SED =C= 6L6GC and EL43 tubes for my Mark III simulclass. It broke into a whole new dimension in tone. :shock: I mean it was good before but now it is - well it is "IT"!! 8) If they made EL84 tubes my .50 Cal would be retubed as well. Of course I do use a trial and error cocktail for my preamps tubes but for the power side they just made my Mark & HB get a lot more balls. I will be getting =C= for my Fender & my Acoustic when the 6L6GC tubes in those need replacing. Of course the funny thing is they just sit around now waiting to backup if my Mesa's "break". Darnest thing, those two amps are still waiting and the tone in the Mesas just seem to keep getting better the more I play them. The Fender and the Acoustic may need counseling for abandonment issues. :cry: :cry:

Dennis

Thanks guys - I got my matched quad of =C= and you're right - they sound amazing! I didn't think I'd notice much difference but I did! Now I want to upgrade my pre-amp valves...can anybody recommend any pre-amp valves that will have a sinmilar impact?
Cheers, Jason

As far as pre-amp tubes..you may want to start with the V1 position. I would highly recommend a new production Tung-Sol. I have that in my Mark IV A and love it.

I'm qute happy with the Mesa SPAX7 in V1, and the rest are just Mesa Russian 2s. Granted, you should use Chinese preamps in the cathode follower positions, but both my Roadster and Stiletto Deuce II are working fine even with Mesa Russian 2s in those positions...

I just put SED Winged C 6L6s and EL34s in my Mrk III!!!!! Amazing! No other word for it. I doubt I`ll ever go back to stock Mesa tubes. Gonna pick up a few new production Tungsol 12ax7s on the weekend. Can`t wait.

I've heard nothing but excellent reviews regarding the sound of Winged C tubes, but how is the reliability and longevity of those tubes?

Thanks

I don't know about 6L6s, but the EL34 is AFAIK the only current production tube that can handle 500V of plate voltage.
Over at the JVM forum, they have recieved praise over and over again for their abnormal toughness. Someone still has the stock quad in his JVM for 4 years, and he does gigs on a regular basis!!

To me, the EL34 sound amazing. When I scrape up the cash (****, an octet isn't that cheap...), I'll pop in some =C= 6L6s in my 2:90 too. I kinda feel the tubes that are in now are limiting the thing's full potential.

Go Russian powertubes!! :mrgreen:

If I were to buy =C= 6L6's and EL34's for a Mark IV, what bias point number should I expect them to be at? Just want to make sure if anyone knows.

Thanks

I just put some winged C 6l6's in my Electra dyne. The amp is 4 months old, so the original power tubes should be in pretty good nick and all the preamp tubes are still original.

I really like the Mesa STR440 stock tubes, they sound really good to me. I'd be happy to continue using them, but the new Winged C tubes are at another level. Poeple talk about "harmonic content" and "smooth overdrive" and while terms like that do not really mean much it is all starting to make sense to me. My guitars sound much closer to how they sound unplugged in terms of the harmonics and pick attack. I used to ride the treble control fairly high in order to coax out the harmonics, but have actually been able reduce the treble ny a few motches. Clarity is also improved nicely across the board.

The power tube overdrive is also at a new level. The STR440 tubes had quite a pronounced overdrive tone, I could describe it as ratty, grainy or even a bit icepicky. I not saying bad as I still really like it. The winged C's seem much tighter in overdrive hang onto the guitars tone much better. The overdrive has great crunch and is very touch sensitive. It sounds much more musical to my ears.
Where I live the winged C's are cheaper than the Mesa tubes, so there is no doubt I will be sticking with the them. I think I may even buy a few spare sets.

I have Fender DRRI which until now I prefered for clean tone. The DRRI has a very sweet tone is actually very similar to the ED (ED clean is based on the Fender black face circuit). The DRRI tone was sweeter than the ED, but not anymore. I can't wait to replace the stock DRRI tubes with some good ones to see if it can claw back against the ED.

J.J said:
I just put some winged C 6l6's in my Electra dyne. The amp is 4 months old, so the original power tubes should be in pretty good nick and all the preamp tubes are still original.

I really like the Mesa STR440 stock tubes, they sound really good to me. I'd be happy to continue using them, but the new Winged C tubes are at another level. Poeple talk about "harmonic content" and "smooth overdrive" and while terms like that do not really mean much it is all starting to make sense to me. My guitars sound much closer to how they sound unplugged in terms of the harmonics and pick attack. I used to ride the treble control fairly high in order to coax out the harmonics, but have actually been able reduce the treble ny a few motches. Clarity is also improved nicely across the board.

The power tube overdrive is also at a new level. The STR440 tubes had quite a pronounced overdrive tone, I could describe it as ratty, grainy or even a bit icepicky. I not saying bad as I still really like it. The winged C's seem much tighter in overdrive hang onto the guitars tone much better. The overdrive has great crunch and is very touch sensitive. It sounds much more musical to my ears.
Where I live the winged C's are cheaper than the Mesa tubes, so there is no doubt I will be sticking with the them. I think I may even buy a few spare sets.

I have Fender DRRI which until now I prefered for clean tone. The DRRI has a very sweet tone is actually very similar to the ED (ED clean is based on the Fender black face circuit). The DRRI tone was sweeter than the ED, but not anymore. I can't wait to replace the stock DRRI tubes with some good ones to see if it can claw back against the ED.

The Mesa STR440s do seem to have less headroom than the Winged Cs. Is that a bad thing? IMO not necessarily. But personally, I'm digging the extra headroom and clarity these Winged C 6L6s provide... :mrgreen:

And to add further in general, I got a matched quad of Winged C 6L6s in my Randall EM100KH. Installed them last night. The stock vales were JJ 6L6s. Again, clarity was a lot better IMO with the Wnged Cs...

Check out Tube Depot. 15% off SED =C= tubes. Just got mine. Only for a couple more weeks!

Back