tube veterans...is this a bad rectifier tube??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
I emailed mesa about this and they said it was completely normal and that nothing is wrong with my tube. None of my other tubes look like this. Mesa said if it were a bad tube it would've blown my fuse, but i still don't see how this could be "normal." One is black on the bottom, as if it was burnt. The other tubes look crystal clear...I posted this a while back and the response was that it was a bad tube. But i emailed mesa about 3 days ago.

BLACKTUBE1.jpg

VERSUS THE OTHER RECTIFIER TUBE

CLEARTUBE1.jpg

Sorry that no ones answerd you yet. My thoughts are that if the tube is still working, it's still working. You would know if something was wrong because the sound would change for the worse, or the amp would stop working(blown fuse, blown powertubes). If the amp is still under warranty and Mesa isn't concerend, then leave it be. If something goes really wrong, they'll have to take care of it, and they know that. If the amp isn't under warranty, just replace it. New rectifiers are about $20 and it's worth the peace of mind. You might want to even check out changing to a different type.

I have a similar looking rectifier tube in my old fender deluxe reverb. It's original(circa 1973) and has some darkening of the glass in a few spots. Although it could probably be changed, it works just fine so I'll leave it be.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back