Preamp Tubes for DC10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Hey, gang. You all probably know that I am rocking a sweet DC10 head. I love this amp and the tubes are new Mesa branded units.

The cleans are chimey, sweet, and have great harmonics and bloom.

The distortion is fantastic, as well. There is alot of gain on tap and even with the gain set to 10, it remains very quiet, clear, tight, and articulate. It is a very smooth and defined gain with tons of harmonic content, and I love it. if I was never able to change anything about this amp, I would still be extremely satisfied with it.

Can anyone recommend a preamp tube to help me shape my distortion? The amount of saturation is great, but a bit more wouldn't turn me off, either...I would like a bit more "hair" in my distortion's character. I'd like it to be a little more raw, sharp, or sizzling, if you will..

Any ideas about these tubes or their respective slots? Thanks!

Edit: I am using a 1960a with the 75s..I bet the Recto cabs would give me the edge I was looking for with my lead channel.

Hahah, nevermind. I got to crank her up at tonight's rehearsal and that answered all of my prayers..

Sometimes it seems that you can forget what the amp really sounds like when you dont have her up at volume for a while! And another thing, I love how responsive the amp is to the guitar's volume pot- especially the the way it adds that smokey, springy bounce to the clean cahnnel. Ahhh, I love this amp!

Rock on!

I put a new EH 12ax7 into the v2 slot and the distortion is alot more jagged and saturated! This is just what I wanted and I can only imagine what another EH would do for my tone in v4...

I almost answered or commented but I was waiting til you were done...

Back