Preamp Tube combinations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styphon

Reaction score
So.. I have these tubes:

2-RCA NOS 12ax7
1-RCA Long Grey plate 12ax7
2-GE Long plate 12ax7
1-GE 12ax7 Long Plate Getter 1954
1-Electroharmonix 12ax7 from 1954
1-Reissue EH 12ax7
1-Tung Sol reissue 12ax7
1-Mullard reissue 12ax7
1-JJ ECC803S
1-Groove Tubes 12ax7
1-Groove tubes 12at7
1-Sovtek LPS

Considering i have a roadking II, which is V1-v3 are gain stages, v4 reverb, v5 loop, v6 Phase inverter where should I put these tubes?

I am looking for a distorted sound, while retaining versatility and retains tight bass.

V1 - Tung Sol or the JJ
v2 - Mullard
v3 - Ge long plate(richer) or rca 12ax7(tighter)
v4 -
v5 - groove at7
v6 - rca 12ax7 or sovtek lps

My recto doesn't have reverb but this is the closets to what i have in mine.

Currently mine is like this.

v1 - Tesla ECC83 nos NOT jj (jj is a remake of the original telsa) read alot of good about tung sol in the v1...my tesla has good highs, clarity, high gain alot of people use the jj tho in the tube kits from euro

v2- Mullard Nos 12ax7 KILLER MIDS like no other, no question on this as v2

v3- GE long plate nos 12ax7 its got a richer, fuller bass. The short plate rca will be tighter but try both. u'll have to compare tone AND responsiveness (tightness)

v4 - I don't have reverb..maybe the groove 12ax7 or if u don't like the tung sol in v1 try it here (just a guess)

v5 - GE 6201 triple mica 12at7... brings the amp to life, end of story. try a 12at7 here. less gain but helps with clarity and articulation

v6 - Matsushita 12ax7 japan nos.... the lps and rca are both great durable drive tubes... this is driving the distortion so spend some time here

think like this

v1 - treble
v2 - mids
v3 - bass
v4 - reverb so i would think no alot of gain (guess)
v5 - clarity > gain
v6 - gain, power--- this is the distortion area

correct me if i am wrong guys, but this is my 2 cents. most credit due to Shredd6

Hope this helps
-Nate

shredd6 said:
Are your RCA 12ax7's long-plates?

Usually there's a difference between 12ax7's and 12ax7a's. 12ax7a's being short-plates.

One is grey plate, one is short plate.

shredd6 said:
It would be interesting to see your EH from 1954. Can you post a pic?

Apparently I can't read. Its a Amperex Electrohome 12ax7 from 1964.
a9b0_1.JPG

shredd6 said:
Nice tube dude!!

It would be a toss up for me whether to put it in V1 or V2. The RCA has a great over-driven sound, the Amperex has more high and Mid frequencies.

At times an Amperex can give you close to a Mullard sound, just more high strung. Not quite as creamy in the Mids.

But try swapping the RCA short-plate and the Amperex in your V1 and V2 slots, and just go with the sound you like best.

That would be my advice anyway.

Peace.

I have a question for you since you seme to know a lot about tubes =p

People here and other places love NOS Mullard. But which one? Just any? The CV4024? The NOS 12ax7?

Really nice thread.

I've got a mesa dual rectifier 3 channel version.

I want to change the tubes for NOS tubes.

I have been recommended to put all RCA 12ax7a short-plate in the preamp and RCA 6l6GC black plate in the power section.
What do you think about that?

I'm pretty sure about the power section, I might run it at 50 watt though with the two outter tubes only (should I or not?).
But I'm not so sure about the preamp section, I could also get used (but in good condition) RCA 12ax7 for a reasonable price.

I want this amp to do the "brain stew" from green day kind of high gain tone (I'm thinking about the band strung out too), anyway, high gain punk type of stuff.

I don't use the effect loop so maybe I shouldn't invest for those two tubes....I have no clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm also open to other suggestions as well.
thanks

A couple of thoughts, from my experience...

Which Mullard 12AX7? I personally don't like their short-plate 12AX7A - it is too compressed and congested sounding. I have many other tubes that sound better, in my opinion, and not everyone has that privilege. Their '50s long-plate is worth the attention, since it does display the clarity I hold as a high standard, while providing a creamy smoothness.

In deciding between short-plate RCA 12AX7A, and a short-plate Mullard 12AX7A (or Heerlen-made Dutch Philips; i.e. Amperex or Miniwatt), I have noted that the RCA emphasizes fundamental tones, whereas the Mullard and Amperex are quite rich in harmonic content. You'll probably be on one side or the other of your likes with that: either the RCA sounds like it is too plain, or the Mullard sounds too rich.

Shredd - I liked your description of the Amperex vs. Mullard short-plate 12AX7A.

- Thom

I found that the NOS RCA grey-shortplates did AWFUL things to my nomad, especially the clean channel. I go for a chimey tone that overdrives when you dig into the strings, and the RCA emphasized the harsh and undesirable tones from my guitar...fret buzz, the sharp sound of fingers sliding over strings, and the breakup wash awash in harsh presence frequencies. The TungSol RI was by far a better sounding tube in my amp for V1.

I'm very satisfied with my tone using new production tubes, and I hope when it comes to replacing them, the lack of consistency between tubes doesn't tank my tone.

Back