Fake Tesla tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styphon

Reaction score
Ok.. According to some of the larger tube websites, there are lots of fake Teslas and JJ's rebranded with NOS Telsa labels. (

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if either one of these auctions is for a real NOS Telsa?

http://cgi.ebay.com/E83CC-12AX7WA-original-Tesla-frame-grid-NOS-new-in-box_W0QQitemZ220291120478QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350112527567&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=170269341872&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

The first auction (yellow label) - Read the auction text - I know, I know, it's hard - he states that it's an "exact replica".
Second auction (white label) - Could be real, anyway he offers a full refund and has 100% positive feedback, what's the problem/risk?
You could probably find some cheaper if you take the time to "shop'. There are bazillions of tubes on eBay.

Actually, the auction states that the Tesla e83cc is a "replica" of the much more expensive Telefunken ECC803S, which is actually true for REAL Tesla's, so it says nothing about the tubes he actually has.

I have been looking on ebay. Its just hard to know if what I am looking at is real or fake =p

I am really set on getting a Tesla, preferrably a ECC803S, but I'd go for a ECC83..

i think they are both real.i have tesla nos preamp tubes from my father(which is an electronist since 1960's) that he use to have in old radios or other type of gear that was using them, and they are with white or yellow labeling on them.so they look genuine...

Hey Styphon,

I have about a dozen of Tesla e83cc and ecc803s... you are NOT looking for ecc83, you ARE looking for e83cc or ecc803s. Those two designations are for a higher grade tube than ecc83 or 12ax7. After carefully scrutinizing the auction pics I'd pass on the first one and go for the white print ones in the second listing of your post. Those are the real deal. Notice how you can see a gap between the pair of plates, think it's the tube on the left? Real deal. The fakies have an extra layer of metal between the plates and you can't see any gap between the plates because that piece of metal is in the way. Also I have seen fakies besides having the extra metal shielding, the getter halo only has one support instead of two. The fakies also have a darker yellow than the real ones on the lettering, and sometimes come in a black, red, and white box. The real ones I have came in a yellow blue and white box. The reason I'd pass on the first listing is that there is not a photo view showing whether a gap exists that one can see through between the plates.

Another e83cc very much worth having is the Siemens shortplate, they also have a third mica and two supports for the getter halo. The Teslas are more creamy when overdriven, the Siemens are great for a more marshall-y sound, they have a big bottom, fat mid like a mullard, and more complex harmonics than their other philips family shortplate ecc83 cousins. Best of luck!

On a related note...

I think I am up to 5 reported auctions for fake Tesla ECC803S, some of them are REALLY bad. Most are short plates, random writing...

Hi guys,first time poster here,i just bought these nos tesla E83CC'S,they look like the real deal,can anyone confirm? Sorry to bring up an old thread,but i gots to know. Thanks!
BWb20NQWkKGrHgoOKkEEjlLmF82BKb2029n.jpg

jeff5150 said:
Hi guys,first time poster here,i just bought these nos tesla E83CC'S,they look like the real deal,can anyone confirm? Sorry to bring up an old thread,but i gots to know. Thanks!
Those look like the real Tesla (not JJ) to me.

- T

yeah,i can't wait to get these in my amp,i managed to find 5 of these puppys,kind of expensive but i don't care! :mrgreen: Thanks! Thanks also to 212 mavguy,for the tube recomendation 8) .

Back