Difference between cheap tubes and expensives ones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift

Reaction score
Hallo guys,

I know nothing about tubes really, I've never replaced one, I've always sold off my tube amps before having to replace the tubes in em!

I feel the time has come to change my Mark IV's tubes, it's from January, and has been played on average 2 hours a day (Sometimes way more coz of gigs and rehearsals).

I was looking at buying Mesa's 6L6 pair and the EL34 pair.

The EL34s are £50, and the 6L6s are £35.

What's the difference in sound for the varying 6L6 Mesa tubes? Do they have different EL34s?

So, why would I want to spend lots more on these other way more expensive tubes??

Also, and recommendations for the preamp tubes? Do I just get 5 12ax7s?

Cheers.

If you're going to spend £50 on an el34, you should buy original Mullard El34's, probably best valve ever made.

Do a bit of reading around them, I think that'll answer a lot of your questions - and give you a lot more to think about :twisted:

boola said:
If you're going to spend £50 on an el34, you should buy original Mullard El34's, probably best valve ever made.

Do a bit of reading around them, I think that'll answer a lot of your questions - and give you a lot more to think about :twisted:
They're £50 a pair.

What's the difference between the colours of 6L6?

Click for link

Doh yep I didn't read

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/TubeReference/TubeRefGuide-06.pdf

They're different makes of valve and draw different amounts of current to produce a different type of sound.

Your preamp tubes will be fine for a good while yet, and so will the power tubes if you've treated them properly (about half way through their usable life I would guess). What are in it at the mo ? STR440's ? What preamp tubes Russian 1's ,2's ?? The colours make very little difference to the tone, don't worry about it. I've tried to compare Yellows vs Blues and there was no difference I could hear !! It's operational differences for matching purposes. If you want a change, just put EL34's in the outer sockets, I prefer it actually ! Then you have a spare pair of good tubes in case you need 'em further down the line ! :D

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Your preamp tubes will be fine for a good while yet, and so will the power tubes if you've treated them properly (about half way through their usable life I would guess). What are in it at the mo ? STR440's ? What preamp tubes Russian 1's ,2's ?? The colours make very little difference to the tone, don't worry about it. I've tried to compare Yellows vs Blues and there was no difference I could hear !! It's operational differences for matching purposes. If you want a change, just put EL34's in the outer sockets, I prefer it actually ! Then you have a spare pair of good tubes in case you need 'em further down the line ! :D

So the preamp tubes are still good for a while?

They don't need changing....just thought I might :p

I'll leave the preamp tubes, and inner 6L6s then!

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:

No what ANIMATED SUSPENSION was saying you can only run the EL34’s on the outer sockets.
So just go for a complete set of power tubes 2xEL34/6L6. Also keep in mind if you decide to go for anything beside Mesa tubes you have to tell the vendor that it is for a Mesa Boogie so they can select tubes according to Mesa specs. This is not required for preamp tubes.

Preamp tubes do last for a while so you most likely don’t need them if you go for a set that is cool swapping them out and changing positions can have some pretty interesting results. Currently I’m running.

V1 Mesa
V2 high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 Penta Labs/Shuguang 12AX7C
V4 Unlabled/Shuguang 12AX7C
V5 balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS
(4) SED 6L6GC WINGED =C=

6L6C said:
Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:

No what ANIMATED SUSPENSION was saying you can only run the EL34’s on the outer sockets.
So just go for a complete set of power tubes 2xEL34/6L6. Also keep in mind if you decide to go for anything beside Mesa tubes you have to tell the vendor that it is for a Mesa Boogie so they can select tubes according to Mesa specs. This is not required for preamp tubes.

Preamp tubes do last for a while so you most likely don’t need them if you go for a set that is cool swapping them out and changing positions can have some pretty interesting results. Currently I’m running.

V1 Mesa
V2 high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 Penta Labs/Shuguang 12AX7C
V4 Unlabled/Shuguang 12AX7C
V5 balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS
(4) SED 6L6GC WINGED =C=

I know about EL34s in outer sockets only, I did some research :razz:

Thanks anyway though :)

So do I have to select different pre tubes for the different positions?

i.e. are there set tubes for V1, V2 etc?

All the pre-amp tubes are 12AX7s. Many folks like to tweak the recipe with different brands and types to experiment.
"V1" is the first pre-amp tube, usually the on closest to the input jack of the amp. This is a good place to start, as the tubes closest to the input tend to have the largest effect.

Latest posts

Back