Tubes for Road King II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styphon

Reaction score
So I bought a road king II series II a couple months ago and I am interested in changing the preamp and power tubes.

What I am looking for: Tighter/clearer/more defined bass, while maintaining or increasing the width of tones available.

Tones I Like: SRV, slash, dimebag, Angus young

I was thinking maybe
Power amp:
4 SED 6L6GC (Maybe switch the inner two out for JJ's??)
2 EHX EL34EH

Preamp:
NOS RCA 12AX7 in V1
Mullard ECC83 V2
v3,v4 Tung-Sol 12AX7's
v5 Telefunken ECC803S

Rectifer:
Ken-Rad 5U4G or jj gz34

Any suggestions? Comments?

shredd6 said:
styphon said:
So I bought a road king II series II a couple months ago and I am interested in changing the preamp and power tubes.

What I am looking for: Tighter/clearer/more defined bass, while maintaining or increasing the width of tones available.

Tones I Like: SRV, slash, dimebag, Angus young

I was thinking maybe
Power amp:
4 SED 6L6GC (Maybe switch the inner two out for JJ's??)
2 EHX EL34EH

Preamp:
NOS RCA 12AX7 in V1
Mullard ECC83 V2
v3,v4 Tung-Sol 12AX7's
v5 Telefunken ECC803S

Rectifer:
Ken-Rad 5U4G or jj gz34

Any suggestions? Comments?

Really?? You're thinking about one of these?

http://xrl.us/ontwi

**** man, you ain't messin around!! If you want to save a few hundred, you can always try a Tesla e83cc. But I think it would be better suited for V1.

By using a Tesla though you'd be getting clean clear highs.

I'm not exactly sure you're going to get what you're after with an RCA 12ax7a in your V1. A Tesla would be much better in my opinion. I've received nothing but good feedback with this preamp setup.

V1 Tesla e83cc
V2 Mullard ecc83
V3 GE 12ax7a Long plate
V4 Mullard CV4024 or GE JG-12at7wa/6201 triple mica
V5 RCA 12ax7a or Mullard cv4024
( To be honest a lot of tubes sound good in V5)

The tones and versatility of that setup are what I get the best compliments on. RFTs sound good in V1 too, but not as clear as a Tesla and a little darker, distorts quicker.

For more of an Angus tone, I recently ran an experiment for another forum member and this setup has a killer Classic Rock/ Vintage tone:

V1 Sylvania 12ax7a/ 7025
V2 mullard ecc83
V3 GE 12ax7a Long Plate
V4 GE JG-12at7wa/6201 triple mica
V5 RCA 7025

Very Musical, powerful, wide open, and nice and quiet when the guitar volume is rolled back. The Sylvania in V1 will surprise you. It has a strong punch when distorted, and really clean, full, and warm in the clean channel.

Woah, that was alot more expensive than I thought. I think I was looking at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-12ax7-ecc83-Telefunken-Tubes-Fisher-Scott-Matching_W0QQitemZ370076660512QQihZ024QQcategoryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The RCA in V1 was suppose to provide me with a crisper bass response, but I don't know if that is true or not.

But I think you'd be sacrificing clarity. Kind of like an RFT. Both are killer tubes, but they tend to have more of an overdriven sound to them in the clean channel as well as the high gain channels. If you like your clean channel to be crystal clean, I think there are better choices for your V1.

The clarity I am looking for is at the bottom end, I am not looking for a crystal cleans, just a tighter bass response.

Back