Newbie "Best" Tube Question - Your Opinion Wanted!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant_riv

Reaction score
Hello-
I'm new here, and have read a lot of great info so far.

I am hoping to hear your opinions on the "best" tubes to use in my two Mesa amps. I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to provide as much detail as will help.

I am currently running a .50 Caliber+ in stereo with a DC-3. I am using a Boss DD-2 to split the signal.
I am using the lead channel on the .50C+ as my main tone, and the delay is coming through the DC-3 clean channel.

I have a Norlin LP with Lollar Imperial pups, and I am trying not to run any effects, other than the Boss delay pedal and a Fulltone Clyde wah. I primarily try to use my volume controls to clean up the tone.

I am trying for a tone similar to Paul Kossoff (Free) for leads and somthing strat-like for clean tones. For crunch tones, I suppose "classic rock" chord tones would be appropriate. (Old Scorpions, Judas Priest, Purple, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy)

I am not a high-gain metal type player.

Am I asking too much? Would different amps be more appropriate? I am currently using stock Mesa tubes.

Thank you for your advice!

I would suggest EH EL34's...they can literally do just about anything. Great classic rock tone, heavy crunch and nice tight metal tone. They are great tubes and are about the cheapest ones out there as far as power tubes go. I would also recomend their preamp tubes for the same reasons.

Thank you for the reply!

That sounds like they will give me what I want.

I've never experimented with different tubes, for tone's sake. I've only changed them when they've failed.

I've been told that pre-amp tubes don't generally need to be changed, unless one fails, but power tubes wear out, depending on hours of use and volume.

Unfortunately neither amp can use EL34's !! lol !!! I really don't think you can go wrong with the current M/B tubes. I would def recommend the M/B STR440's (6L6) for the Caliber though. They are the best M/B 6L6's so far other than the really hard to find STR454's. Do you know what the tubes are that are in them at the moment ?

Latest posts

Back