Subway Rocket Tube Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gang...

Sorry for the naive question...but...

I am thinking it's time to change the tubes in my subway rocket, and I'm not sure which tubes to order from Mesa Boogie.

I see many of you order tubes from elsewhere, and I'm open to suggestions, but the first thing I have to figure out is which tubes I need, and how many of each?

I can't seem to find this info...can someone help?

Thx

I have subway rocket and a studio 22+ and have been swapping a few tubes around in them myself. If you want to get them from boogie just call them up and they will tell you what you need. If you want some other kind of tubes do a search on here and there is a few places that people talk highly about to get other tubes from, just tell them what kind of amp you have and they can set you up its up to you. My subway has 4 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 el84 power tubes.

I bought some JJ EL84's for my power tubes and couldn't be happier. If you don't have any crazy noises like white noise, shushing popping or squealing, your pre-amp tubes (the small ones) are O.K. but it never hurts to have a couple spares on hand in case they do go bad. I like to change power tubes at least once a year (the big tubes) or even sooner if I use the amp hard. Tube life is measured in hours of use, not the total time they sat in an amp and most power tubes can last right around 3 to 4000 hours, so if your amp has been played a lot it would be something to consider. Doug's tubes and Euro-tubes and The Tube Store are great people to deal with. Have fun!

Any thoughts on replacing them all with Groove Tubes?

I hear/read a lot of good things about them...in the subway, think they'd be ok?

Groove Tubes are good to. They sell Sovteck's and JJ's. The JJ's have a "S" at the end of their model number. Little more expensive.

In the subway rocket, which preamp tube is V4? Do they just go V1-V4 in order, from the input side (Left to right)??

Thanks...and I am gonna go with the JJ's...

Hallo there, new dude here...

I own and have played a Subway Rocket for ages...but I'm thinking it's time to change the tubes.

I'm quite happy buying and experimenting with which tubes will work and sound best for me...what I need to know, or dont know, is does the Subway Rocket need re-biasing when adding new tubes, or is it fixed bias like I know some Boogies are?

If it's fixed bias then I'm going to have a helova fun time experimenting, but if it needs re-biasing each time then I'm going to have to find someone near me who can do that for me...

Any ideas or knowledge passed on would be great!
:D

It is a fixed bias. You can have a tech mod it for variable bias, it's only to replace a resistor with a trimpot. You can ask for having the trimpot accessible from the outside, and then with a screwdriver simply adjust the bias (read it from an adapter to put between socket and power tubes and a multimeter)

Latest posts

Back