KT77 in Mark IV review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Tks mucho!

Sounds like a very cool option to have. Thanks for your description. Makes sense to me. Not everybodie's descriptions do. :wink:

yettoblaster said:
So Groove tubes with a hardness from 4 - 7 is OK in Mesa?

Yes.. providing that you are using them in place of EL34's. I have a pair in the outside sockets (class A) of my Mark IV and I like it alot. I didn't care for them though in my Stiletto. They didn't have that mid-range punch and creaminess that certain EL34's have but that could be the current draw of this particular quad of tubes in my amp.. They sound great in the Mark IV. There is richness to them that cold biased 6L6's don't have.

I haven't tried them in a Mesa yet, but, the JJ KT77 is my "all around" tube of choice for my "cleaner than EL34" amp tones. I run them in both my 15 watt MV3484 15 watt vintage Marshall clone as well as my Bluewater Ampworks Carondelet. They strike me as virtually a marriage of the best qualities of the EL34 and the 6L6GC.

miqueas92 said:
But you can only use them on the outside right¿¿¿¿

You can´t do four as per the 6l6´s¿¿¿¿

Mick
Yes only on the outside, they replace the EL34

I got a set of KT77s at first I didn't like them but I played with the EQ a bit and found a sound I really enjoy.

I run KT77s in my outside on the MkIII and they are great! The clean channel is cleaner and more Fendery and the gain channel ...... well this amp has so much gain, that will never be a problem. :lol:

I haven't tried KT77's, but I've been using KT66's for a long time, and those you can just drop in. They sound very warm, have a tight boomy low end, and break up nice.

Sorry people's, I know this is a Mark IV thread, but KT77's are part of the topic. I must say that I am now using KT77's in my MTR and they are fantastic compared to the standard Mesa 6L6's. Mention to the EL34L's also which are super tight and have a good break.

I've noticed that the KT77's have even a bit more low end extension than the E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that isn't brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and at loud volumes.

The KT77's have more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy but not quite as aggressive as the EL34L. I think it's a great tube for rhythm and solo work. If you get the chance, try them out, and/ or the EL34L's, both are great compared to the standard Mesa 6L6's. (Also, change your pre-amp tubes, they play a big part too - my opinion!)

I just got a retube kit from Eurotubes with 6l6 and KT77 for the Mark IV and WOW! I posted a thread in the VINTAGE forum about them. I was amazed at the tone. Very very impressed and it just sounds so rich and full now.

The previous tubes WERE quite old but still, the difference is there and it is very noticable! I love it XD

Latest posts

Back