Sovtek KT66 vs Tung-sol

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmt

Reaction score
I just retubed my Simul-Satellite amp with KT66's from Sovtek (boy are my ears ringing now...) and I got slammed for using these... I've read nothing but good things about these tubes and I've used them for over a year, but I just wanted to find out more about the differences between these and the Tung-Sol.

The Sovtek's are certainly cheaper than Tung-Sols, but I wonder are those really worth it? Both are made by New Sensor, I realize possibly in different factories.

I don't quite understand your post. How do you like the Sovtek KT-66's? Did you have to rebias the amp?

Both Sovtek and Tung Sol are made in the Reflector factory in Saratov Russia. The same factory makes Sovtek, EH, Tung Sol, Svetlana, Mullard Reissue, and others. New Sensor is the American company that distributes these tubes, they own the rights to the names and I think that they might even own the factory now. Typically, the Sovtek tubes are great general purpose tubes, tough and long lasting, and sound pretty good, but generally not the most musical. I haven't tried the Tung Sol KT66, but from trying every other Tung Sol types compared to the same Sovtek types, the Tung Sol were always a bit different, usually with warmer clean and smoother distortion with better musical detail, maybe better harmonic content. Sometimes though, when you want a more edgy sound, the Sovteks might be a better choice. Sound is so subjective, you really have to try each and decide which you think are better.

Back