The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm 
Mark II

I guess this has been possible for some time, and I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't aware of it. I know you can run an amp modeler through a guitar cab with speaker simulation/IRs turned off, or through a FRFR setup with speaker simulation/IRs turned on, and obviously I know you can run a head through a cab.... but I *didn't* know you could run a head through an FRFR setup with speaker simulation/IRs. I guess I didn't know that standalone speaker simulation existed.

Even in 2017/2018, whenever I listen to amp vs. modeler comparisons on Youtube I can pick out the tube amp every time. I'm not anti-modeler, but I can hear a difference and the amps always sound better to me. That being said, I've been here over 8 years and still haven't bought an amp, and I think one of the reasons is that I can't settle on a cab. There are a lot of different speakers out there, and I like the different sonic 'tastes' that are available. From the reading I've done, I guess it's easier to simulate speakers than amps, and apparently using speaker simulation for recording, practice (and maybe live performance?) has become popular. I've listened to some cab vs. IR clips on Youtube and I can't tell the difference.

So, I was curious if anyone here was doing this, and if so, how happy you are with it, what kind of setup you have? It just seems like a great way to be able to play through a variety of different cabs without having to buy all those cabs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:01 pm 
Donating Member

From what I've seen it's a fairly uncommon setup.

The guys that are doing it are using something like a Two-Notes inline with a real speaker cab. They send the IR out to the FOH instead of using a mic, and will generally be feeding the IR send into their in-ear monitors if they're using them, then they have a line running to their guitar cab on stage which is generally un-mic'd and used for live monitoring/feel.

Using an IR is generally consistent sounding from venue to venue, and a Two Notes is much smaller than dragging around 4x12 inside an iso cab, which isn't realistic for most gigging musicians that don't have their own production crew.

|| McCarty | Les Paul | Custom 24 ||
|| Cantrell Wah | Rotovibe | Phase 90 | Grid Slammer ||
|| Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12/4x12 ||

|| Jazz Bass | Bass Strategy | PH410 ||