your thoughts on my Lonestar hard rock tone please.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfly

Reaction score
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13213428

Hi all...

I am trying to dial in the lonestar in a new room. I made a short clip. Please chime in and tell me your thoughts on the *TONE* not the playing. It recorded a bit darker than it sounds to my ear in the room.

The lead tone to me is nice and fat. Can't decide if I should go back to the drawing board as far as the way it sounds when I play rhythm. I think it sounds pretty good but not as good as the JCM as far as crunch. I am not sure I can squeeze more out of it anyway. Thanks

It probably comes down to your personal preference since you are the one that has to really like it.

To my ears it sounds like there are too much mids and it has a shrill harshness that I am not used to. But if you were to change it to my liking it would end up being my tone.

It kind of sounds like my quad without the eq engadged and I prefer to always have it on. But anyway if you like it then keep on shredding as it is.

Nice playing by the way.

hey barfly!

i dig the grind, and the basic tone,
but the way you captured it sounds a bit harsh...

maybe it's more room sound than speaker,
maybe you used a 57 and have it too close to the center,
i don't know how you 'captured' it to recording,
but i don't think that's something you can't figure out and improve.

amp sounds good.

My first thought was that the mids are dialed in too high. As Rob227 pointed out, that comment is based on the tone that I would want to hear and not necessarily what you're hear in your head. Are you playing through a combo with an open back? I get the impression that mic is picking up some of the sound bouncing back from the walls as well, but not sure if I'm inferring that based on the way my LSC sounds.

I would cut the gain just a tad and boost the master a little. I find that my eyes initially choose the settings on the gain knob and my ears are always happier when I dial it back and boost the master some. Something to try and see if you like it better.

Good luck dialing it in.

Thanks for listening and for the observations, guys. I am going to mess with it some more. I do like a crunchy rough tone... but this is not quite there for me yet. I will mess w/ it and try less mids, and mess around in general. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back