Electra Dyne Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
That all through the combo speaker?

Nope, it'd be easy to say that I'm cheating outrageously - in order to plug it into my recording rig I'm using it solely as a preamp for a stereo rig consisting of my Mark V running through a rectifier 4x12 and my road King 2x12 combo.

From my perspective, however, the biggest factor the power amps and cabinets bring into play is actually the stereo rig. I'm using a neunaber chorus pedal in the effects loop to provide a bit of separation and it makes a huuuuge difference in how big the sound comes across.

The other factor that I think is really significant here is that I dimed all oll of the controls except the Master volume on the amp, based on reading about Van Halen's amp setup for their debut album and trying it on a wild hair a few months ago. i also setup my OD-808 in front of the amp set to 9, noon, and 3 and knew I was onto something big as the sound was fantastic, even through the 23" combo.

The cabs and power amps obviously contribute but I still strongly believe that the biggest factors are (again):
- OD-808 boost
- stereo rig with chorus (think John Sykes)
- diming everything on the amp

I'll put this to the test shortly and just record through the cabinet and quad track everything but I sincerely believe the result above are the main things anyone needs to do to get similar results. The cabs and power amps contribute a lot but I think these other factors are more significant.

-Daniel

BTW - I didn't mean to misrepresent the setup, I just spent all weekend on the recording and mix and didn't expect so fast a reply after posting, and kept the initial wording fairly terse as a result. Sorry if it seems like a bait and switch, it was not intended to be,

Latest posts

Back