What cabs...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a triple recto and I want to get a 4x12 cab.I play metal and I was wondering on your thoughts towards cabs.I'm using 2-randall 2x12's at the moment but am having trouble cutting in the mix during live shows.My question is which ones to get for this live set-up?Something that has more mids.

Have you considered a Mesa Recto 412v30 cab? :wink:

Go straight, IMO. (bigger lows)

Yes,but Im wanting a slant cab.Im trying to see what cabs are best for the Triple recto.Is there a difference in tone between the 2?

All things equal when it comes to sealed cabinets a larger box volume will generally make the slope of low frequency roll off more gradual and change the F3 point.

Larger volume will not change the high frequency response or help you cut into the mix, but may give you a bit more thump depending on speakers.

For most guitar speakers the F3 point will not move that much by changing speaker box volume.

With a sealed box 4x12 cabinet speaker choice will have a much greater effect on sound.

I would bet it is not the Randal cabinets that are causing the problem. I would look elsewhere first. Too many floor effects taking out the highs, old tubes, EQ, pickups, speakers with a low sensitivity or not enough high end, or maybe for some reason your band mates have 1,000 watt amps turned to 11 and that tri-recto can't keep up.

EDIT: For a metal band a 4x12 will look much better than two 2x12s.

Thanks for the info.I think i'm gonna get a recto/slant cab with v-30's,although I MAY switch 2 speakers to the GT12-75 from my Randall cab in an x-pattern.Depending on how the cab sounds originally.

I have 2 basic EQ settings...one for me, alone in the amp cave and the other for the band. The two are pretty different to my ears and is why I try not to set the final EQ after I change up the pedalboard. Adjusting the tone on the ODs is where I get the mix cut and it varies with the venue. Doing that while standing 3 feet in front of the cab, facing it, is no way to judge a live setting. Speakers may not be your problem at all. More SPL won't fix a mix problem.

kdorsey said:
I have 2 basic EQ settings...one for me, alone in the amp cave and the other for the band. The two are pretty different to my ears and is why I try not to set the final EQ after I change up the pedalboard. Adjusting the tone on the ODs is where I get the mix cut and it varies with the venue. Doing that while standing 3 feet in front of the cab, facing it, is no way to judge a live setting. Speakers may not be your problem at all. More SPL won't fix a mix problem.

Yup - if you don't have a reliable sound guy out in front it's virtually impossible to judge your mix stood in front of your cab. One easy way you can do it yourself is get a looper in the mix. Run a sample in there, put your guitar down and go and stand out front. Then go back and up your mids ;)

A full set of v30's may make it worse...

Bought myself a 4x12 mesa recto cab for x-mas.I'm gonna adjust the mids and lower the gain setting for my next gig on Jan.31st.see how it goes.Sure would be nice to hear myself in the live vid.

Should of checked out Omega enclosures. They can build what you need. Lots of metal guys are turning to them.

Back