Mesa Boogie Roadster and Axe FX 2 rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomii

Reaction score
Hello. My new plan is to take my Roadster and run him dry in one side of the 4x12 standard recto cab and Axe FX 2 with Rocktron Velocity 300 wet and with different amp sound in the other side of same cab. Would this sound good and on what to pay attention and not burn my cab. Also do i need RJM amp gizmo for changing channels on my amp. What is the best way to setup this rig and control all of this with MFC 101.

Reading the manuals would be a good place to start. MIDI isn't too difficult to understand with a few reads of the manual, and having the devices right in front of you. It might be better to ask over at the axefx forums about how to control your axefx and other mdi devices with the mfc-101.

As far as power handling and your speaker cab, rocktron does not recommend running the velocity 300 bridged (mono) into a 4 ohm load, and if you did, it would produce >300 watts, which going into the 120-140 watt handling power of 2 vintage 30s sounds like a possible disaster waiting to happen.

An RJM amp gizmo or mini amp gizmo would work absolutely fine with the roadster, and I love the Mini amp gizmo with my mark IV.
hope that helps!

One route is an extra cabinet with the velocity 300.
Personally, to get all that to work together, instead of running any amp sims on the axefx, I would take a slave out signal from the roadster and feed that to the axefx (running in kill dry), and feed the axe signal in stereo to half of the 4x12, and the other channel to a seperate cabinet. This is known as a wet/dry/wet rig. It's basically the same thing as you were talking about minus the dual amp sounds.

Are you planning on gigging with that setup?

For smaller cover gigs i would go with axe directly to the pa and for my band and when i have chance i would go with big rig. but if it is big problem to set all that up i will go with my amp and axe in loop for effects or axe and amp with 4 cable method or something like that. i don't wanna to buy another cab.

I know that this rig is an overkill. But i need all in one solution for quality effects in my Roadster loop and a stand alone unit that can go directly to the PA for small gigs where i dont have space for head+4x12. Plus is that with axe i can record demo tracks directly to my pc with high quality. What would you choose? Then i dont have to buy Velocity. When i can i will run axe in loop of my amp or with 4 cable method if tone is not compromised in that way.

Then I would look into a different power amp that can handle 4 ohms mono, or maybe keep the 412 and buy two 112s for the w/d/w. I recently bought a velocity 120 that would work in that capacity. Less wattage to overwhelm the speakers, which would allow the smaller wet cabinets. And if you use the axe at a smaller gig, you wouldn't need all of the wattage provided by the velocity 300. A carvin dcm200l would work as well. 60 watts into an 8 ohm load.

The velocity 300 will work, but you're backing yourself into a corner with wattage handling on speakers.

Apart from the cab being able to handle the power output of the amps, you need to be aware of phase issues. Both amps should be in phase. Google two amps out of phase. With a home made cable you could flip the signal at one of the 1/4in jacks (+/- to -/+). Use this cable on the Axe preamp output before it goes into the power amp.

Also, for splitting your signal from the guitar, buy a good splitter like the Lehle Little Dual or Radial Twin Cities pedal. Both these pedals have a phase switch, I think. A simple A/B/Y pedal may cause grounding and noise issues plus loss of signal.

How all this can be controlled via midi, I haven't looked into. You'll have to do some homework.

I have actually run a Roadster & Axe FX 2 wet dry rig prior, and if you dial it in right, it will sound great! If you create any sound clips or videos, post them, love to hear it!

How did you run your wet dry rig? I am still waiting for Axe and just collecting info what is the best way to use it.

chomii said:
How did you run your wet dry rig? I am still waiting for Axe and just collecting info what is the best way to use it.

I went guitar -> pedals -> Line 6 M13 (split out) -> both amps.

For my main rhythm sound, I either used a Mark IV or Diezel VH4 setting. I did have both of those amps (the Mark is now gone), which I used in place of the Axe. The Axe FX Im keeping inside the basement studio now.

what would be better investment? one 2x12 with diferent amp model and wet signal(Axe FX 2) that will stand on top of my 4x12 and roadster dry, or two 1x12 for standard w/d/w rig. I would prefer one 2x12 because sometimes i can use it for mono rig with axe only in some small venues? Also any suggestions for decent ss amp beside Matrix for ether 2x12 or two 1x12.

Even simpler question. How would you guys use Mesa Boogie Roadster and Axe FX 2 and 4x12 cab? Give your suggestions. Add power amps aditional cabs and all kind of stuff. One rig for bigger places with both Mesa and Axe and for smaller venues Axe directly to the FOH,

I saw a guy on YT. Had one cab + regular tube amp dry and Axe with 2 FRFR wet. How would you send complete sound to the FOH?

chomii said:
Even simpler question. How would you guys use Mesa Boogie Roadster and Axe FX 2 and 4x12 cab? Give your suggestions. Add power amps aditional cabs and all kind of stuff. One rig for bigger places with both Mesa and Axe and for smaller venues Axe directly to the FOH,

Big stage, roadster with axefx 2 in the effects loop, or maybe 4CM
Small stage, just 2u rack.

chomii said:

I used two separate cabs. Though you could always run the Axe direct into the PA.

Latest posts

Back