Poseur shots....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Done some recent remodelling, including shelving/selling most of my pedalboard. I'm probably going to pick add a Maxon AD-9 for slapback so that I dedicate the AD999 for longer stuff.

rig---1.JPG

rig---2.JPG

rig----.JPG

Very nice stuff, How is that Laney GH100? Heard of them, just havent tried one out for myself.

MysticTriad said:
Very nice stuff, How is that Laney GH100? Heard of them, just havent tried one out for myself.

It has a very heavy, yet very natural sounding high gain. It's hard to get it to feedback, and the sustain is choked off on it (which tightens up the rhythm and makes solos sound more staccatto).

WOW! Screamingdaisy in STEALTH mode!!
I remember a pic you had with a pile of effects in the corner....
ax. 8)

axwielding1 said:
WOW! Screamingdaisy in STEALTH mode!!

I think I'm going to paint that pink pedal black....

I remember a pic you had with a pile of effects in the corner....
ax. 8)

Been purging lately. I really am a guitar -> amp kinda guy, but pedals are alot of fun and they have a habbit of attaching themselves to my rig. I've been cutting back for about a year now and I think I've finally found my way back to basics again.

Plus, I was getting sick and tired of the tone suck. I've grown so picky about it that I've been disconnecting the wah in between songs unless I was actually going to use it, but I tried my hand at modding it yesterday and I can't hear any difference with it in or out of the signal path now so I'll probably leave it hooked up.

I'm kinda proud of the work quality.....normally when I do this **** there's big globs of solder left everywhere.
wah_pedal_mod.JPG

Nice rig, Screamingdaisy. I have worked on my own pedals for uncounted hours to eliminate TONE SUCK. I swapped the footswitch in my Vox wah with a DPDT for true bypass, then found that I needed a buffer AFTER the wah to keep the signal from dropping in subsequent pedals. Next I added a coule bypass switches for my Boss pedals (these really SUCK TONE), and a home-made version of the Voodoo Amp Selector at the end of the chain. So basically, I'm using two buffers, one in front of most of the pedals, then a final one to drive long cables to the amps.

Your mileage may vary, but let me tell you a buffer amp or two can completely eliminate tone suck. Done correctly, a buffer is completely transparent.

ylo said:
Your mileage may vary, but let me tell you a buffer amp or two can completely eliminate tone suck. Done correctly, a buffer is completely transparent.

I fully agree, but I'm only using one pedal and 30' of cable before my amp so I'm not to worried about buffering. Would it help, probably. Do I care enough to bother? No, it sounds good now.

Hello Screamingdaisy

If you can hear a difference plugging directly into the amp with a 10-foot cable versus going through your effects with your 30-foot cable, then you might want to try a buffer or buffers. Personally, I can hear some treble roll-off with anything longer than 15 feet of cable and no effects. The combination of effects and cable is usually worse. Of course, maybe you like a darker sound, this is a matter of personal preference and the styles of music you like.

Anyway, you may want to experiment to see how you can change the sound of your rig for better or worse.

For example, you might want to just try something like a Voodoo Amp selector to get from your pedalboard to your amp without signal loss. This has built in buffers. This might be enough to make a noticeable difference -- it would at least eliminate the effect of a long cable to your amp from your board. You could also try something driving the pedalboard. For example, Boss makes a looper/driver, the LS-6 line selector that is worth trying. This unit has two buffered, switchable effects loops and I think it will also drive a long cable to the amp.

There are also some boutique units around with loops and buffers, for example the Lehle D.loop, Bradshaw / Custom Audio and others. If you are handy with electronics, the circuit for a basic buffer is simple (just a $0.75 op amp and a couple of resistors and small capacitors), but the time and aggravation of building something yourself can be high.

ylo said:
Hello Screamingdaisy

If you can hear a difference plugging directly into the amp with a 10-foot cable versus going through your effects with your 30-foot cable, then you might want to try a buffer or buffers. Personally, I can hear some treble roll-off with anything longer than 15 feet of cable and no effects. The combination of effects and cable is usually worse. Of course, maybe you like a darker sound, this is a matter of personal preference and the styles of music you like.

EMGs are already buffered, and the Duncan's that're in my LP could use another 10ft of treble bleed if you ask me. :)

I know what you mean about effects... Not that I have a problem, but an old friend did. The **** he compiled over the years was disturbing..
Plus, he'd pick out around 15 different effects before a show. The hiss and capacitance required more pieces, thus the problem.
Nice to travel light..Bad enough these Boogies are heavey as ****, let alone carrying a boatload of effects.
ax. 8)

A few years ago I cut back almost entirely on pedals between my guitar and amp. I had nothing but a wah pedal and that was enough for me. I'd still like to add a true bypass, but since I really don't hear a tone suck when it's off I'm OK for now.

Now, my effects loop is another story. I do need ambient effects when I play. Like many of you out there, I have a G-Major. Now I admit that with my Dual Rec I did hear a slight difference with the unit in the loop as opposed to completely unhooked. But for some reason I'm not hearing the same with the Mark IV.

Effects loops are more or less buffered, so you should NOT have so much trouble with tone suck compared to effects in front of the amp. What gets me is that even ONE effect pedal in front of an amp can cause loss of volume and highs. I've been battling this for 30 years.

Back