My turn (Mesa Stiletto clips...)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtThump

Reaction score
Finally got a chance today to record my new Stiletto and I thought I'd share. Both channels are using tube rectifier and bold settings, a Shure SM57 and a Marshall 1960B cab with the stock Celestion G12T75 speakers. Also, I added a small amount of reverb from the recording software during mixdown.

The red channel clip was the "tite gain" mode dialed in for a nice beefy hard rock tone. The green channel clip was the "crunch" mode and dialed in for a "smooth, vintage, woody, chewy" type of tone.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/red_titegain1.mp3
http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/green_crunch1.mp3

Thanks,

Chris

Here's another take on the green channel "crunch" mode. I dialed this in to be slightly brighter than my previous clip, but still retain a chewy type of tone.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/green_crunch2.mp3

Bobbypols said:
Great clips...got any hendrix or black crowes sounds in there?

Thanks! Hmmmmm, that'll take some serious tweaking in modes I haven't used yet. I may give it a try.

Slightly different settings on the blue channel "crunch" mode with the gain controll rolled back to around 11:00 o'clock. I'm not a Hendrix impersonator, so please realize that. lol... :)

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/green_crunch3.mp3

Awsome clips I can't get my stiletto to sound like that . By the way what guitar were you useing.

cpepper said:
Awsome clips I can't get my stiletto to sound like that . By the way what guitar were you useing.

Thanks. I just spend alot of time tweaking... I've learned to dial the treble, presence and mids down more than other amps, since this amp can be really bright in the wrong hands. I don't normally scoop out my mids much, but the mid control on this amp works on the higher mid freq's, so I like it scooped out a little.

Anyway, I'm using an Edwards Les Paul Jimmy Page copy on all of the clips but the wannabe-Hendrix clip. I'm using a Fender Strat on that one with DiMarzios.

Man, great clips! I started messing with my "crunch" mode too on the blue channel since hearing your clips. I never really bothered with that setting before, but there's some great tones in there.

Keep them coming, I really thought you had some awesome tones
with your strat.

Sorry a little off topic but how are the Edwards guitars. I've been trying to get ahold of one. I know it's ESP that makes them but the only place I've seen them is Ebay.

Guitarz_18 said:
Man, great clips! I started messing with my "crunch" mode too on the blue channel since hearing your clips. I never really bothered with that setting before, but there's some great tones in there.

Keep them coming, I really thought you had some awesome tones
with your strat.

Thanks! I know you've had a love/hate relationship with this amp (I've been reading posts), but so far I'm digging it. That can change on a dime, though. lol...

The manual really talks big about the crunch modes and how that's really the "bread and butter" of this amp and I agree. I mean, I really dig the "tite gain" mode as well, but the "crunch" mode is just so darn versatile!

cpepper said:
Sorry a little off topic but how are the Edwards guitars. I've been trying to get ahold of one. I know it's ESP that makes them but the only place I've seen them is Ebay.

FANTASTIC GUITARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, they rock HARD. This is the only one I own or have played, but a friend of mine recently bought 4-5 of 'em and he says they're all consistent quality. He's a fan now too.

They're not an exact Gibson copy, but they have the same vibe and are of equal quality (and cost way less). Mine sounds killer and I'm very happy I took the gamble with them. I bought mine new off eBay. They're not sold in the US, because of copyright laws and stuff. They're only sold outside of the US, which is why you have to find a seller (usually Japanese) that will ship one to you. Well worth it, in my opinion.

You really nailed that hendrix plexi sound! If i could of done that i would of keep it...keep em coming...those clips sound awesome...

Guitarz_18 said:
could you post what your settings were for each clip?

Have you changed the tubes?

Sorry bro, but I was tweaking away and recording. I wasn't keeping track of the settings. Plus, we probably have different speaker cabs, different guitars, different ears (lol), etc... My settings may not translate to your rig anyway.

I have ordered a quad of JJ KT77's and a few JJ preamp tubes, but I won't get them until tomorrow or Tuesday. These clips are with the stock tubes so far. Can't wait to try the KT77's, though!

Chris

Bobbypols said:
You really nailed that hendrix plexi sound! If i could of done that i would of keep it...keep em coming...those clips sound awesome...

Thanks! Today was the first time I tried to get that tone out of this Stiletto. Really, I just made minor tweaks to what I was already doing in the "crunch" mode on the blue channel and cut the gain back to around 11:30 and bam, there it was! I was surprised. I think it sounds great.

I have to admit you probably have the best Stiletto tones on the net. From what I have heard. When you are playing dry (without reverb) do find it still retains that chewy character you had.

cpepper said:
I have to admit you probably have the best Stiletto tones on the net. From what I have heard. When you are playing dry (without reverb) do find it still retains that chewy character you had.

Wow! Thanks!!! I experimented with my Alesis Quadraverb in the loop for a short while, but it muffled the tone a little. Part of that could be from adding the loop into the signal, but it's most likely from the Quadraverb itself. Those units are killer, but it's old technology. However, the QV doesn't seem to color the tone when used in the loop of my Marshall DSL-50.

Anyway, I also have a Boss GT-8, which is my favorite effects processor that I've owned. I need to try that in the loop of the Stiletto, which is something I plan to do very soon. That processor is cool, especially if you use the "four cable method" to use some effects before the amp's preamp and some after.

Koprofag said:
absolutely amazing sound. one of the most pleasing clips i've heard so far! i love the tube saturation (and envy you for even being able to crank your amp like that).

i have a question though regarding something i get on my rectoverb as well (clean channel, tube saturation). it's hard to describe the sound, but on higher notes it sounds as if the tubes are adding dissonant harmonics, making it sound like "broken glass". do you know what that is? maybe it simply is the different harmonics getting more apparent on higher notes, but sometimes i wish they would just stay as "thick and creamy" as the lower notes.

Thanks man! I think I know what you're talking about and you're right, I think that's just how it works when playing higher notes. I always try to tweak my amps just right so the rhythm tone and lead tone are both pretty good, but it's sometimes hard to get that perfect middle ground. When playing in a band, I don't notice the shrill high notes nearly as much. Honestly, that's where the "fluid drive" comes into play on the Stiletto. That mode sucks for rhythms, as it's all bassy and loose. But man, it sounds great for leads that are higher up the neck.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice dude!
I love how you made the tight gain squeal!!!
The crunch has a really good ZZtop drive. I also enjoyed the VH medley at the end of the 1st crunch clip!
The Hendrix stuff is pretty dang cool as well....

...but do you have anything recorded using the fluid mode that you can share?!?

Latest posts

Back