Dual Rectifier (EL34L's EL84's) clips *UPDATED*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
those settings sound really "dark." its not just the dark music, but the sound itself. Maybe its the el34's, i dont know. would you mind sharing the settings? It kind of reminds me of a petrucci clip i have saved. very heavy crunch, organic, sound.

Elpelotero said:
those settings sound really "dark." its not just the dark music, but the sound itself. Maybe its the el34's, i dont know. would you mind sharing the settings? It kind of reminds me of a petrucci clip i have saved. very heavy crunch, organic, sound.

Yeah I think that is the fault of the camera.. it really darkens and flattens the tone of it. In person it's much much better.. I'm working on getting some 'real' recording equipment :p

Anyway if you want the settings though it wont sound at all like the movie:

Schecter C7 Hellraiser -> TS9 -> Amp

Channel 3: Modern
Tube Rectifier
Bold Variac

Presence: 2 oclock
Volume: 11 oclock
Gain: 3 oclock
Bass: 2:30
Mid: 11 oclock
Treble: 2 oclock

it sounds a bit weird, with a lot of loss of definition and a lot of treble/mid, but that can be the camera's fault.
I also have some unearth clips, yeah everyone must have one of those =) with my single recto (rectoverb), 6l6 and a black shadow custom. But I just recently built a 2x12 cab with v30's so I think I will first make some new clips with that cab before I post them =)

chennie said:
it sounds a bit weird, with a lot of loss of definition and a lot of treble/mid, but that can be the camera's fault.
I also have some unearth clips, yeah everyone must have one of those =) with my single recto (rectoverb), 6l6 and a black shadow custom. But I just recently built a 2x12 cab with v30's so I think I will first make some new clips with that cab before I post them =)

Yeah that is definetly the cam's fault.. the tone feels very lush, harmonics are easy to pull off effortlessly chugging is fluid. I tend to run my tone a bit heavy on the treble side, (whether with the presense knob or the treble one) and I have my attenuator's 'bright' mode on because it sucks a little bit of the treble out when I use it at low volumes.

I just saw that video we could be identical twins.
Very freaky you look so much like me it's no funny.

It must be my Destiny to buy a Rectifer

aggravated_alien said:
I just saw that video we could be identical twins.
Very freaky you look so much like me it's no funny.

It must be my Destiny to buy a Rectifer

Post a picture :p

I want looking for photos the closest one I found was this

I take back what I said maybe not identical twins but we could pass as brothers.

http://www.geocities.com/aggravated_alien/platypus.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/aggravated_alien/aggravated_alien.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/aggravated_alien/aggravated_alien2.JPG

i really liked the sound on the opeth vid. it's one of the best lead sounds ive heard on a DR ever. Can you tell me what pickups are in your PRS, and the wood in the neck as well? Also, what channel are you using and what settings more or less? Thanks

Elpelotero said:
i really liked the sound on the opeth vid. it's one of the best lead sounds ive heard on a DR ever. Can you tell me what pickups are in your PRS, and the wood in the neck as well? Also, what channel are you using and what settings more or less? Thanks

Sure thing.

Video was recorded with neck pickup active only.

PRS Custom 22
Neck: Dragon II Neck (my fav PRS pickup ever)
Bridge: Tremonti Treble
Wood: Mahogany set neck, rosewood fretboard

DR:
Channel 2 Vintage
Tube Rectifier
Presence: 1:30-2:30
Volume: 11:00
Gain: 2:00
Bass: 1:30-2:00
Mid: 9:00-10:00
Treble: 2:00-2:30 (to taste)

Pedal:
TS9 Tubescreamer in front
Boss DD3 Delay in FX loop

Let me know if you have more questions! I can take digital stills of my settings if you wish

I'm a big PRS fan and i wouldve never guessed a Dragon2!!! actually i guess i didn't look at the vid too closely, i thought you had a Cu24. ALso, i've heard of people using many combinations, but never a tremonti inside a 22. Can you tell me how that sounds?? Is it anything like a tremonti inside a Singlecut? Any sounds of that would be sweet. Thanks a lot!

Elpelotero said:
I'm a big PRS fan and i wouldve never guessed a Dragon2!!! actually i guess i didn't look at the vid too closely, i thought you had a Cu24. ALso, i've heard of people using many combinations, but never a tremonti inside a 22. Can you tell me how that sounds?? Is it anything like a tremonti inside a Singlecut? Any sounds of that would be sweet. Thanks a lot!

I put the Tremonti in the 22 because I wanted a higher gain bridge pup without using the HFS, which sounds good but sounds too much like a Duncan for my liking. I like it better than the single cut personally but that's just my opinion, they're both great guitars.

I think it sounds awesome, Tremonti basically uses a Dragon II in the bass.. if you look at the site his pup is almost identical to the Dragon. I have a clip of me doing some satriani with the Tremonti in this guitar.. but you'll have to excuse the corny video :O

http://platypus.memoryfire.com/extremist.avi

Back