Mark V 35 MKIIC+ crunch tones!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I got a new amp! ;)
It's the MESA/Boogie Mark V 35W head!

I'm super stoked as the Boogie Mark series have been dream amps of mine for a looong time.
I bought it just for recording in my studio so the lower wattage works fine for me in that regard.
This thing has plenty of power and headroom thanks to the 4 EL84's.
Honestly, they don't sound as 'small' as some people make them out to be.

I haven't spent a huge amount of time with this amp yet and I've mainly focused on the MK IIC+ mode since the IIC+ is obviously legendary and widely used by a few of my favorite bands (Metallica, DT etc.).
Here is a short video I did with this mode in a rock/metal setting.
The settings I used can be seen at the beginning of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBIXSFA1FU

I used this head through my Fractal X-Load LB2 loadbox and back into my Axe Fx III, which I use for IR loading.
Got a great crunchy sound with plenty of mids despite the classic V-shape ;)

The clean channel is very nice too.
It has a warm, even and compressed sound while still retaining a lot of headroom and dynamics.
Not sure how that works lol, but it sounds good.
Really dig how high gain the crunch channel can get too.

The MK IV mode has some nice extra saturation and harmonics going on and I imagine I'll be using that mode a lot too in the future.
Haven't tried the Extreme channel much but it sounded good when I briefly tried it.

Couple thoughts:
-The graphic eq is great but quite touchy, I spent quite some time dialing in my first tone and tweaking it. Never owned an amp with this eq but it's a cool learning experience!
-This is a tweakers amp! The controls can be sensitive so it can take a little time to dial it in 'exactly' how you like it.
-The EL84's are fine! This amp has plenty of low end and I'm running the master at around 10/11 o clock, not bad!

Great amp!
Anyone else own one? Any tips for great tones? (aside from running the treble high, mids and bass low and the classic V-shape on the EQ)

Back