Is it the speakers or the amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckirons

Reaction score
I've been playing with my old band recently and have been borrowing a friends SVT3 and ampeg 4x10 and 1x15 cabs to practice with. I'm getting my own cabinet redone but I've gotten this new Mesa Buster head . I played for about two practices with the SVT and everything worked fine. The next time we played I brought my new head and plugged it in. I made sure everything was kosher with the way i hooked it up. It sounded great. We played and played and as we did I started to hear what sounded like speaker buzz. I switched off the tweeter in the 4x10 and it sounded better - for a while. most of the time it was really clear and nice, but if you attacked the a certain way it sounded like the speaker was buzzing - like there was a tear or something.

I got really worried about it - he told me to abuse his setup but I really wouldn't want to. At the end of the practice I was freaking out and I replugged his amp back together and turned it on. It sounded fine. No buzzing or anything. Now it didn't sound as nice as my head did, but then there wasn't that torn speaker sound.

The speaker cables I just disconnected from the Ampeg head and put into mine - they're fine. I actually had thought it might be my cables so I switched them around with others. And everything works fine when it's not hooked up to my amp.

I know it wasn't too much power being pushed into the speakers, could it be too little? Could there be a tube problem?

What do you think? And if it's the head, what do you think could be the problem?

Hmmm...

I'd try to get that sound again by yourself. Play real loud for a while by yourself until you reproduce the sound.

Then I'd look at the tubes to see if one or more is looking hotter, or colder than the others.

Those sounds can be a vibration in a wearing out tube or almost anything else. Also it sounds like it could be a vibration from the speaker.

When the sound comes back, more the head off the speaker and see if it goes away. If it goes away, you may have a harmonic vibration in the amp chassis.

I'd call Boogie to, before I bought a bunch of new tubes.

I'll try that - the head was already on a chair away from the cab, so I don't think it's vibration going back into the head.

I'm going to have it checked out.

You just told me something important, if the head was on a chair, the chair could have been vibrating from numerous sources.

The drums, the guitar, even the PA. It will be interesting to see if you can make the sound come back by yourself.

Latest posts

Back