Mesa Bass 400+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played one for 10 years.

It is an Ampeg SVT on steroids. Great sound, unbelievably loud but....

Terribly HEAVY, it was almost 100 lbs with my road case. Everybody that ever helped roadie for me ,cursed the thing and hated me! Because it was SO heavy, my road case was always getting really banged up, not too good for the head either.

I mean heavy, heavy. The other problem is it takes 12 tubes. It was time to replace the tubes, and it was over $300 bucks. I bought a GK 1001RB that was a manager's special from Guitar Center and sold the 400+ to a buddy.

I miss the sound, and the ego associated with it, but I DONT miss the weight.

i know someone that has one, she runs a pedula into it and it sounds amazing. but the thing does weigh like a sumo wrestler and a full retube costs quite a bit.... but i think its worth it.

My bass player uses one, and runs it through a mesa powerhouse 4x12. He plays a Warwick 5 string with just a 20 'cord. He uses the 'active input' The amp sounds great, best amp sound ive ever heard to be honest.

Personally I differ in opinion to the above posts on two points. I didnt find it all that heavy. It has those 2 rack handles in the front so you can carry it quite easy. Unlike the triple rec I own with 1 single handle on the top, this is just as heavy and far more awkward to carry.

My band must play loud, because if I had one complaint, it was that this amp did not shake the walls, I wanted nightclub base! Considering the 500 watts I thought it would have more headroom.

On a positive note (no pun intended) It sounds great! We are a trio so he cuts through the mix very well, not just bass, but all those mids, and chimey highs. It really is nice.

David.

I think it's an awesome bass amp, I also use GK, but this bass400+ is the king.

By the way, the amp weighs 45 lbs all by itself.
:)

http://www.taylorharveyband.com

Thanks for the help.

Due to costs (and the fact that I get a discount on Ampeg stuff) I'll be using an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp into my Mesa 2:100, into an Ampeg 4x10 & 2x10.

Until I get the Ampeg pre I've been using my Rectifier Pre....and it sounds killer for overdrive/distortion.....so I'm thinking of using a line switcher to use it in my bass rig.

I'd love to get a 400+.....but I just can't afford it at this time.

Back