Halfback 412 as a bass cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
I've got a metal grill 412 guitar cab with EV 12"'s in the bottom and MC90 Celestions in the top. I want to run a Gallien Krueger Backline 212 as a head through the cab. Is this a bad idea?

My daughter has a talent show this month, and I picked up the backline at a pawn shop for just under $150.00. The speakers sound like the hulk farting, but the amp sounds fine through the 412.

The amp is rated at 115 watts at 8 ohms, and the MC90's are 90 watts, similar to the old Celestion CL80.

Thanks.

You'll have no problem using the cabinet. Those speakers will handle the power and bass frequencies without hurting them. Under powering speakers can be a problem with harmonic distortion, that damages speakers more so than too much power.

tommyhawk13 said:
A friend is letting us borrow a 4 10 Boogie Road ready cab, but I'm still curious about the boogie halfback cab for bass.
Doesn't seem like too great an idea - you're definitely at risk of blowing out the speakers by putting too much low end through them. Aside from that, I'm guessing it'll have a lot of midrange and not much low bass?

EVM12l is rated as low as 80hz.

EVM15l is rated as low as 60hz.

EVM15l were sold in loaded Mesa bass cabinets.

A bass low e is 41hz which is theoretically out of range of the evm15l bass speaker.

My Mesa 2x15 with EVM15l speakers works fine at stage volume. I have never used my bass through my 4x12 evm12l loaded Mesa halfback since I have the bass cabinet. YMMV.

Back