Anyone build a "silent cab." ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR

Reaction score
What's a silent cabinet (or isolation speaker chamber) you asks?

Its a speaker enclosure enlcosed in another enclosure with a mic like an SM57 or E609 well insulated and fairly sound proof so you won't be disturbing your neighbor. -- aw I can't explain it so google it and you should get some links to gearsluts threads.

Anyway, I'm thinking of building one 'cause a buddy of mine turn me onto recording with your computer. I'm an old school reel-to-reel guy that's now getting into this DAW technology.

Anyway, my brother obtain these butterfly latches from storage delivery crates at work that were about to be thrown away so I was thinking of building one of these silent cabinets for recording.

Just wondering if there's some tips on how to build this enclosures. Yes, I do have whole facilities of woodworking power tools. I suppose I could use woodworking intution but I'm those male drivers who's not afraid to asks for direction.

Check out these:
http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/main.asp
Haven't used one myself.

MrMarkIII said:
Check out these:
http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/main.asp
Haven't used one myself.
Thanks for the link / info. Yeah, that's the exactly the same principle. But it has a built in 6" driver. I will be using Tone Tubby 12" (and other 12" speakers).

Just wanted others to share ideas on this project such as use acoustic insulation, make sure its air tight, gasket on the removeable panel, ... I mentioning butterfly latches on the removeable panel because previous design, some guitarists prefer the mic to be moved off the speaker axis so constant adjustment of the mic placement is necessary so a latchable panel is recommended.

I guess I'm answering many of my own questons. :wink:

Latest posts

Back