2x12 Cab Questions??? HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmallinson

Reaction score
Okay, so I have my first Mesa on order right now! Yes, I'm extremely pleased! Incase anyone wants to know, it's a Roadster head and a 2x12 cab. I am all over the musical spectrum in terms of what I play. Meaning I play praise and worship at my church and also in a christian metal band. I have a lot of experience with this amp. I know what it can and cannot do (as if it couldn't do something!) and I also know that while it has a tighter high gain bass response than the dual rectifier, I still would like it to be a bit tighter. Yes, I know the old tube screamer out in front trick, but thats only after I have the tightest sounding cab to go along... Yes, I am tonally disfunctional, or functional for those of you who share my "strive for perfection of tone paranoia"! lol Anyways, I know that the Roadster cab, being that it is smaller, will have a tighter bass response. I guess my questions are #1- Has anyone played through both the Roadster cab and recto cab? #2- If so, how much tighter was the bass response in the roadster cab, if there was any noticeable difference? #3- And finally, does the roadster share the same big sound as the recto cab, or is it kind of squatty?

Thanks and I look forward to some informative feedback!

sorry to butt in, but I have a 2x12 Roadster cab, and a 1x12. It's mint and for sale if you have the opportunity to get a refund on yours I'll save you $100 and send you mine. Like new, has left the house a few times - I usually travel with my 1x12 Roaster.

So sorry can't do the comparison you're looking for, but the Roadster is tight, in a good way. In fact when it's on the floor you can get the place rumbling pretty good. It's a lot of cab in a small box, trust me.

Regardless, nice pickup on the Roadster package. That's some top notch stuff.

My suggestion is to play your new rig and enjoy it. Then, if after you get a feel for it you find it needs tweeking, restart this thread.

Me personally, I feel the Recto's 'looseness' is generally overstated. Nor is tighter neccissarily better in all circumstances.... particularily if you're after a thick rhythm tone. That's why I suggest you play what you have first... you never know, it may be perfect right out of the box.

Thanks for the advice. I'm usually the same way only, I guess since I'm changing so much about my rig, I just want it perfect... And lets face it, I'm only 19. I'll be at this (this being chasing my "perfect" tones) my whole life... hahaha But yeah, thanks for the advice! I think I'll stick with the 2x12 recto for now... And jab, didn't forget ya bud! Say the recto 2x12 isn't exactly what I intended it to be, I'll hit you up about that roadster cab! lol

hahaha You just have to come to my church then... lol We just got isolation boxes backstage! New building! Much better sound equipment!

Back