Rectifier 120 watts vs 140 watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkorn

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm a few days from acquiring a used Rectifier 2x12 cab.
The seller keeps saying that it is 140 watts (2 celestion v30), but the Mesa Boogie website says this cab is 120 watts.
I understand that each V30 celestion speaker is 60 watts... So what is the deal with 140??
I'm seeing a lot of websites talking about this rectifier cab 2x12 with 140 watts.
Can anyone explain what is the difference? Is this 140 watts older? Is it better or worse??
The guy says it is in mint condition...

Please advise as fast as possible, the deal will take place next friday, tomorrow!!!!!!

It has stock speakers, on each speaker it says 70 watts... it seems that there are a lot of these out there

Rkorn said:
It has stock speakers, on each speaker it says 70 watts... it seems that there are a lot of these out there

Could've been that Mesa upped the rating for awhile. Unless things have changed Mesa's V30s are a proprietary version and not an off the shelf Celestion V30. For instance, Marshall V30s are 70w speakers. Not sure if there was a period of time where Mesa was also marking theirs as 70w or not.

I heard somewhere that the 60 watt speakers are chinese made V30s and the 70 watt V30s are made in england.

I read the same yesterday somewhere... that must mean the english ones are better????
Anyway... I'll be hearing it this afternoon, it will probably be my fist Mesa Boogie product, followed by a Mark at the end of the year...
Should I pay attention to any special detail? I'll be hearing it, I'll check if they are v30 and see and exterior damage markings...
anything else??

Wish me luck

At one time in the past, Mesa offered V30s made for them @ 70 watts. The operative word being "past".

About 3-4 years ago, they started using 60 watts speakers. If you have something from the 90's or early 2000's, it's probably 70w.

Here's the back panel off an older Boogie 4x12. 280w, so 70w/speaker.

I also took a look at the back of my Recto 2x12 and it's rated at 140w. Looks like I was totally out to lunch when I answered this thread.

23kb71e.jpg

Ok, I already got mine!
It says 70 watts C-v30, it has an 8ohm and 16ohm on the back panel. The guy sent it somewhere to change this in order to use it as Stereo. the 8 ohm is still the same, the parallel is now a 16 ohm.

I will only use it in 8 ohm (i'll be plugin it to a 6505 combo 212) which I think someone told me to use it with an 8 ohm cab.
The only thing is I though I could only use the cab, but with this combo there is no way to turn off the combo speakers.
Is there a way to only use the cab???

Screamingdaisy, thanks for all your so well informed help!!!

Back