Speaker Build Project Summer 2010

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
So this summer, we built two 2 x 12 speaker cabs:
1) a theile 2 x 12 with WGS Reaper 50watt speakers. (Absolutely awesome speakers, if anyone is interested)

2) A design based off of the Mills Mach 212B that I named Mock 212B. It is a close back cab with an optional 3/4 back.

SpeakerCABS001.jpg

SpeakerCABS002.jpg

SpeakerCABS003.jpg

SpeakerCABS004.jpg

SpeakerCABS005.jpg

SpeakerCABS006.jpg

SpeakerCABS010.jpg

SpeakerCABS012.jpg

SpeakerCABS015.jpg

SpeakerCABS017.jpg

SpeakerCABS022.jpg

SpeakerCABS023.jpg

SpeakerCABS023.jpg

SpeakerCABS026.jpg

SpeakerCABS028.jpg

SpeakerCABS029.jpg

SpeakerCABS031.jpg

SpeakerCABS032.jpg

SpeakerCABS035.jpg

SpeakerCABS037.jpg

SpeakerCABS047.jpg

SpeakerCABS048.jpg

SpeakerCABS049.jpg

SpeakerCABS052.jpg

SpeakerCABS052.jpg

SpeakerCABS054.jpg

SpeakerCABS055.jpg

SpeakerCABS056.jpg

SpeakerCABS057.jpg

SpeakerCABS061.jpg

SpeakerCABS062.jpg

I reviewed both builds in this thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47551&start=45

My theile is the honey coloured one from last summer. It is definitely very vintage sounding compared to the Mock 212B (Mills Copy). I think the purpose of the theile design is to really showcase the natural tone of a speaker. It is really crazy how different the black theile sounds from the honey one. They are both warm and balanced, but the black one has much more crisp, cutting, and sparkly highs as well as a more pronounced lows. It definitely has the perfect amount of speaker breakup! (WGS Reaper 50watt speakers) The honey one has a more 3D tone with more warmth and muted highs.
To compare the honey theile with the Mock 212B: The Honey thiele has a more balanced tone which accentuates the midrange. The highs are somewhat muted but they can be dialed in as necessary. Really great punk / rock mid focused crunch tone with G12m breakup and v30 roar. Definitely a clear tone with no mud. The cleans are super warm / brown.
The Mock 212B is a much more modern unit which colours the speakers more. Basically, you get more bright harmonics with a phatter low end. The tone is a bit more scooped, definitely in the range of a Standard Rectocab. The difference is that with the center ported baffle, there is far more clarity in the tone. The cab has no sag whatsoever and it is incredibly tight and articulate, even at high gain levels. The v30 c90 combo is exceptional for metal; both rhythm and lead playing excel. Furthermore, the cab sounds great at many different volume levels.

Back