1 x 12 open back compact

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
was thinking of selling my 2x12 Roadster cab (I have 2 Roadster cabs and one usually stays at home), and picking up one of these little 1x12 compact Mesa Boogie cabs. How is that cab? If I plug a 50W head into it and close my eyes would it work for rehearsals? My Night Train sitting on top of it at home would be nifty, and it would be nice to have something so portable for home/rehearsal.

jab said:
was thinking of selling my 2x12 Roadster cab (I have 2 Roadster cabs and one usually stays at home), and picking up one of these little 1x12 compact Mesa Boogie cabs. How is that cab? If I plug a 50W head into it and close my eyes would it work for rehearsals? My Night Train sitting on top of it at home would be nifty, and it would be nice to have something so portable for home/rehearsal.

it'd be fine for rehearals, but they do sound a little "boxy". Definitely portable though.

I agree....A compact open-back 1x12 cab will sound more boxy than your Roadster 2x12 cab.

A compact Thiele will sound a little more fuller. But probabaly an even better choice may be a 1x12 Three-Quarter back cab. These are oversized 1x12 cabs that sound very big, yet have an open tone to them.They are slightly more cumbersome than the compact cabs, but are not unmanageable. I assume that this cab would be lmore manageable than your present 2x12 cab.

I think the bass response from a Three Quarter is similar to that in a compact Thiele - the Three Quarter back can get boomy is the bass is pushed too high.

I have all three types of cabs, but run them with Mesa Mark's, not Roadster/Rectro, so your mileage may vary.

Back