Goodbye Vintage 30's!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
I'm finally tossing the V30's out of my 2x12 recto. I just got so tired of the ice picks and ear fatigue. I'm installing a new set of g12t-100's and cant wait. I've heard these speakers before and like ther voicing but I havent heard them with a Mark IV yet. Does anyone have this setup or something similar that can let me know what I'm getting into?

ryjan said:
I'm finally tossing the V30's out of my 2x12 recto. I just got so tired of the ice picks and ear fatigue. I'm installing a new set of g12t-100's and cant wait. I've heard these speakers before and like ther voicing but I havent heard them with a Mark IV yet. Does anyone have this setup or something similar that can let me know what I'm getting into?
yep, had v30's and then t-100's. fixed the ice picks for my MIV ... think you'll be happy.

I used to prefer V30s and despise C90s, but it seems I've come full circle and prefer C90s, but can't say I really despise V30s. They sound good too.

Yeah, the V30's have their place. But it's not in a small room in a 212 cab! :lol:
They record really nice and roar when you crank it but at medium volumes in a confined space they are too much. Its like keeping a big dog in a small apartment. :lol:

ryjan said:
Thanks for telling me what I wanted to hear. :D
How would you describe the tonal difference?
you've heard t-75's right?
pretty much the same but more overhead and tighter bass response. that's what I was told after replacing the 30's w/ t75's. I liked the 75's but they belonged in my marshal cab and I did think the bass needed a tad of tightening up. 100's delivered perfectly for the IV, at least for me

for the record, I had a dif cab many yrs ago w/ v30's and I loved it, so I'm not knocking v30's. I think they just don't mix well w/ a MIV, since they both (v30s and MIV) are upper mid heavy

Thanks man. Yeah, the massive MK IV mids combined with the high-mid spike of the v30 along with a mahogany/EMG guitar is pretty overpowering. My leads however would cut through a nuclear blast. 8)

Tried my vertical recto 2x12 with the new G12T-100 speakers last night. WOW! My amp has a much cleaner, more produced sound now. Flub is a thing of the past. I played at pretty good volume for a while and had zero ear fatigue. Just so much tighter and cleaner overall sound.

ryjan said:
Tried my vertical recto 2x12 with the new G12T-100 speakers last night. WOW! My amp has a much cleaner, more produced sound now. Flub is a thing of the past. I played at pretty good volume for a while and had zero ear fatigue. Just so much tighter and cleaner overall sound.

Cool! Glad you are happy with your cab/speakers now. Speakers can make a big difference! After all, they are the 'last line of defense' in the fight for that elusive Tone that is in our heads...

ryjan said:
now you can sleep at nights ;) I was finally so happy when I put them in my cab. good deal!

btw, did yours come with "white walls" like mine? (don't mind the messy garage ;) )
NewSpkrs-small.jpg

Yeah, I have the white walls but mine are rear mounted and no I still cant sleep! I want to play my amp all hours of the night now. Thanks musicman, I couldnt believe the difference it made. They are a little scoopy but now I run the mid knob a lot higher which increases overall gain and adjust the 750 slider to taste. No icepicks at all and the bass stays articulate at insanely high levels. Not boomy at all but its that kick you in the chest kind of bass that sounds like youre chugging in step with a deep kick drum. I actually thought about calling in sick to work today.

Latest posts

Back