Thiele 1x12 cab build!! (Mini stack of doom content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zw44

Reaction score
As per my last thread regarding help in making these thiele cabinets, I have now made enough progress to start a little bit of a build log. There arent many pictures because I always forget to take them when I'm working on it. The plan is to cover the cabinet with black snakeskin tolex and will be loaded with Electrovoice EVM12L Classic Speakers.

Anyway, it all started off as an 8'x4' sheet of Birch Plywood. I used the TL806 plans available online as a basis (http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL806%20Builders%20Plans.pdf) and got my local woodshop to cut the bits out (I started but quickly came to the conclusion it is impossible to cut a straight piece of wood with a jigsaw!)

The first pictures I have are of the pieces of wood going together as it starts to look like a cabinet.

p1010430k.jpg

p1010432h.jpg

p1010431n.jpg

Excuse the clutter around them, I am having a bit of a clearout of things.

I managed to glue some bits together in the wrong place at this stage :oops: :oops: and was surprised (and impressed) how strong the wood glue is! After an afternoons stress and hammering the bits of wood were separated again. Minimal damage to the wood - I had to recut one of the internal bits of wood, and used some body filler on one of the panels.

Next stage was to cut the baffle boards. I dont have any pictures of this in the making I'm afraid but in brief I used a router plus an attachment to fix a pivot point in the middle of a circle, then rotate the router around the circle like a compass. I went through the wood in 3-4 passes to minimise the risk of damaging the wood.

I then ordered a new router bit for rounding the edges, and here are the pics at this stage:

p1010460.jpg

p1010462m.jpg

p1010461r.jpg

This may be a bit premature but here are some pics of my "mini stack of doom" :twisted: :twisted:

p1010458u.jpg

p1010459k.jpg

More progress to follow as I progress! :D

Nice work! Seems we are getting a good group of Thiele builders on the board all the sudden!

Great idea to do two at once! After I assembled all my supplies for mine, I realized with a little bit of forethought and careful planning, I could have easily built two of these from the same materials.

Cool dude! I used to use two thieles stacked when I had my mark iv about 2 years ago and it was a great sounding setup, but the cleans were a little sterile. You could build an open back cab too and have a 'massive mini rig' going on!

Sterile cleans with a Thiele?!? I find my thiele 2 x 12 is incredibly warm and does an absolutely fantastic clean tone, even with my Dual Rectifier. The Dual combined with Yellow Jackets has transformed my clean channel into a blues rig!

YellowJacket said:
Sterile cleans with a Thiele?!? I find my thiele 2 x 12 is incredibly warm and does an absolutely fantastic clean tone, even with my Dual Rectifier. The Dual combined with Yellow Jackets has transformed my clean channel into a blues rig!

Maybe it was just the Mark IV's clean channel that was sterile! :D

The cabs look excellent. I have a couple of questions about the plans. I printed out the plan listed in this thread, but the list of pieces comes up a bit short. Items 1 thru 7 total up to 12 pieces. I count 22 pieces in the first pic you posted. What are the dimensions for all the bracing pieces inside construction? Also, how does the port cover function. I'm planning on building 2 cabs asap, so I'd really like to know.

Thanks, Mike

Here's the thread with all the info. Several of us on the board have done these lately. You have to back into the missing measurements. It's pretty easy if you look at the drawings carefully. I have them written down somewhere but I'm away from home at the moment.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13747

Although the EV plans call for it, the Original Mesa Thiele cabs do not use the port cover and they are not insulated.

YellowJacket said:
YAY! That is essentially my cab, but I bet it will be much easier to carry in two pieces!! The build quality looks great, keep up with it!! PS, the manual is in the Spanish language, and I am not sure what it says, so I may need someone that does translation services to translate it for me, or maybe someone here could help.

I agree the guy "YellowJacket". Really great share.Thanks "zw44" for sharing. :)

Latest posts

Back