As per my last thread regarding help in making these thiele cabinets, I have now made enough progress to start a little bit of a build log. There arent many pictures because I always forget to take them when I'm working on it. The plan is to cover the cabinet with black snakeskin tolex and will be loaded with Electrovoice EVM12L Classic Speakers.
Anyway, it all started off as an 8'x4' sheet of Birch Plywood. I used the TL806 plans available online as a basis (http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf
) and got my local woodshop to cut the bits out (I started but quickly came to the conclusion it is impossible to cut a straight piece of wood with a jigsaw!)
The first pictures I have are of the pieces of wood going together as it starts to look like a cabinet.
Excuse the clutter around them, I am having a bit of a clearout of things.
I managed to glue some bits together in the wrong place at this stage
and was surprised (and impressed) how strong the wood glue is! After an afternoons stress and hammering the bits of wood were separated again. Minimal damage to the wood - I had to recut one of the internal bits of wood, and used some body filler on one of the panels.
Next stage was to cut the baffle boards. I dont have any pictures of this in the making I'm afraid but in brief I used a router plus an attachment to fix a pivot point in the middle of a circle, then rotate the router around the circle like a compass. I went through the wood in 3-4 passes to minimise the risk of damaging the wood.
I then ordered a new router bit for rounding the edges, and here are the pics at this stage:
This may be a bit premature but here are some pics of my "mini stack of doom"
More progress to follow as I progress!