Mesa Boogie Forum

The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 am 
Bottle Rocket

As per my last thread regarding help in making these thiele cabinets, I have now made enough progress to start a little bit of a build log. There arent many pictures because I always forget to take them when I'm working on it. The plan is to cover the cabinet with black snakeskin tolex and will be loaded with Electrovoice EVM12L Classic Speakers.

Anyway, it all started off as an 8'x4' sheet of Birch Plywood. I used the TL806 plans available online as a basis (http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf) and got my local woodshop to cut the bits out (I started but quickly came to the conclusion it is impossible to cut a straight piece of wood with a jigsaw!)

The first pictures I have are of the pieces of wood going together as it starts to look like a cabinet.

Excuse the clutter around them, I am having a bit of a clearout of things.

I managed to glue some bits together in the wrong place at this stage :oops: :oops: and was surprised (and impressed) how strong the wood glue is! After an afternoons stress and hammering the bits of wood were separated again. Minimal damage to the wood - I had to recut one of the internal bits of wood, and used some body filler on one of the panels.

Next stage was to cut the baffle boards. I dont have any pictures of this in the making I'm afraid but in brief I used a router plus an attachment to fix a pivot point in the middle of a circle, then rotate the router around the circle like a compass. I went through the wood in 3-4 passes to minimise the risk of damaging the wood.

I then ordered a new router bit for rounding the edges, and here are the pics at this stage:

This may be a bit premature but here are some pics of my "mini stack of doom" :twisted: :twisted:

More progress to follow as I progress! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:31 pm 
Mark IV

Nice work! Seems we are getting a good group of Thiele builders on the board all the sudden!

Great idea to do two at once! After I assembled all my supplies for mine, I realized with a little bit of forethought and careful planning, I could have easily built two of these from the same materials.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:16 am 
Dual Recto

YAY! That is essentially my cab, but I bet it will be much easier to carry in two pieces!! The build quality looks great, keep up with it!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:23 am 
Donating Member

Cool dude! I used to use two thieles stacked when I had my mark iv about 2 years ago and it was a great sounding setup, but the cleans were a little sterile. You could build an open back cab too and have a 'massive mini rig' going on!

AVID Eleven Rack | Tech21 Power Engine 60 | Morley BHII wah
2006 EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream) | 2011 PRS SE245 (Tobacco Sunburst) | 1992 Peavey Predator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 pm 
Dual Recto

Sterile cleans with a Thiele?!? I find my thiele 2 x 12 is incredibly warm and does an absolutely fantastic clean tone, even with my Dual Rectifier. The Dual combined with Yellow Jackets has transformed my clean channel into a blues rig!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Single Recto

Right on man! Probably smoke my 2x12 recto. :x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 am 
Donating Member

YellowJacket wrote:
Sterile cleans with a Thiele?!? I find my thiele 2 x 12 is incredibly warm and does an absolutely fantastic clean tone, even with my Dual Rectifier. The Dual combined with Yellow Jackets has transformed my clean channel into a blues rig!

Maybe it was just the Mark IV's clean channel that was sterile! :D

AVID Eleven Rack | Tech21 Power Engine 60 | Morley BHII wah
2006 EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream) | 2011 PRS SE245 (Tobacco Sunburst) | 1992 Peavey Predator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 pm 
Mark II

The cabs look excellent. I have a couple of questions about the plans. I printed out the plan listed in this thread, but the list of pieces comes up a bit short. Items 1 thru 7 total up to 12 pieces. I count 22 pieces in the first pic you posted. What are the dimensions for all the bracing pieces inside construction? Also, how does the port cover function. I'm planning on building 2 cabs asap, so I'd really like to know.

Thanks, Mike

2 DIY Thiele 1 x 12's w/EV SRO's
Fender Am Std Strat w Kinman Mk II w HX 85
Fender VG Strat
Taylor GS 6
Trace Elliot TA 70 CR.... and I'm a Bass player !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 pm 
Mark IV

Here's the thread with all the info. Several of us on the board have done these lately. You have to back into the missing measurements. It's pretty easy if you look at the drawings carefully. I have them written down somewhere but I'm away from home at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13747

Although the EV plans call for it, the Original Mesa Thiele cabs do not use the port cover and they are not insulated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm 
Bottle Rocket

YellowJacket wrote:
YAY! That is essentially my cab, but I bet it will be much easier to carry in two pieces!! The build quality looks great, keep up with it!! PS, the manual is in the Spanish language, and I am not sure what it says, so I may need someone that does translation services to translate it for me, or maybe someone here could help.

I agree the guy "YellowJacket". Really great share.Thanks "zw44" for sharing. :)

Price Cuts on Over 4,000 Items at MusiciansFriend!