Slant vs Straight

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
For a half stack... pros and cons of each? and which one sounds better?

Pros for Straight cab - the top is bigger so if you are using any racked items you can put the rack on top and have more support. If you have a straight cab you can always get a slant later as slants are easier to find new or used than a straight cab.

Pros for Slant cab - easier to find new or used compared with a straight cab

Tone wise they are pretty close to me but many say a straight cab is more focused, tighter, blah blah. Also seem to be the preferred cab design by John Suhr from Suhr Guitars/Custom Audio Amplifiers who is a huge tone guru (the guy designs guitars and amps for a living, one of the few who modded EVH's amps). EVH's new signature cabs are straight (also a tone guru). I believe Jeff Beck uses only straight Marshall cabs. Most 4x12 cabs I have seen in the "vulgar display of power" page in Guitar World for touring rigs are straight cabs.

Hell, if you get a full stack consider two straight cabs. You never have to worry about which one goes on top.

Not great reasons, but reasons nonetheless.

Areola said:
Get the Slant bottom. Has the same exterior as a straight cab, but the baffle is slanted. Best of both worlds!

+1! I have two of these, they are great!!! If you search them, they are called the Straight Front/Angled Baffle cabs. The one big pro to having slant front cabs on the bottom or in a half-stack config is it angles part of the sound upward towards your ears (comes in really handy when you play a venue that either doesn't have monitors, or they are not running the guitars through them.)

-AJH

hmm, never seen the slanted bottom types... but yea, a straight cab can be hard to hear unless you're on a big stage and can really get out in front of it.

My first mesa cab I got was the recto bottom, they didnt have one in stock at my local dealer so I had to pay for it to special order it without getting to hear one. All the reviews said the bottom cabs have more bass and I thought that sounded like what I wanted. Played with it for a couple of years and then also picked up a top cab. Honestly I think the top cab generally sounds more musical and has more definition. Yes, the bottom cab has more bass response, but not necessarilly in a good way, less defined and a little mushy ( unless cranked pretty good, and then it comes alive.)Of course with both cabs they blend together nice, but if I had to choose only one 4x12 id get a top.

kiff said:
Bobby Marshall said:
You just need a full stack. :wink:
but I have a toyota tercel :(

I get two 4 space racks, two 4x12 cabs, three guitar cases, one bass case and my box o' stuff in my 2001 Saturn LS100, and still leave my kid's car seat in the car!!!!

To be fair, I can get one 4x12 in the trunk, probably can't do that with the Tercel but I bet you could get both 4x12 in the back seat if you pulled the front passenger seat all the way forward.

Latest posts

Back