400+ volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Areola

Reaction score
I own a 400+ and when I jam with other bands its too loud.

I bought the thing because the bassist of my band was meant to be the primary user of it, and we're a loud band... the 400+ runs through an Ampeg SVT810E and Mesa 1516b whilst I run my guitar through a Road King and 2x Recto Cabs. We go by the theory of "If you can't play good, play loud"

Anyway, in recent times I've been jamming in other bands as the bassist. The 1516b is a 4ohm cab, which brings the 400+ down to 250watts, but its still WAY too loud. I like to run my input volume on 10 because it gives it a little more crunch and then I progressively turn up the master to match the volume of the other musicians. Usually I hit 1.5 and that's my limit.

Here's what I'm thinking and some following concerns:
The cheapest option would be if I could pull some tubes from the 400+
- does this wreck the amp?

Buy a smaller cab. a 4x10 that runs at 8ohms
- this is the logical way to go, but i dont have much money at the moment.
- I dont really want another bass cab, unless its another 1516b

Buy a 16ohm Hotplate and a 16ohm cab and run them from the 8ohm outputs
-Technically the cab would be running at 62.5 watts and the hotplate would just be a load making it extremely quite
-Cost about $1000australian to make this happen.

Opinions?

Wattage stays the same at 2,4 and 8 ohm on the Bass 400+ :wink:

I love the old Diesel 1x15 as stand alone cab, everything you (at least I) need is in there.
(no experience with the new cabs here btw)
But the Bass 400+ will stay LOUD(!), even the Bass 400 (six 6L6 or 6550) is loud as hell!

Are there hotplates that can handle the power of such a brutal output stage?

For tube pulling I think the best thing is to contact Mesa ;-)

That's weird... cause normally when things are labelled "500 watts @ 2Ohms" it means that when you go to a higher Ohmage, you get lower Watts.

No.. there's no Hotplate that will handle even 250watts. They're rated at 100watts. I blew a hotplate once, not realising this fact. I guess the only way around it is by buying 4 hotplates to take out 400 of the watts. hahah.

Im not in US, so these sorts of emails tend to go without responce from Mesa, I've found. Cheers anyway

I think the best thing is to call them, the number is on the M/B site.

The wattage only (?) changes on amps with a solid state output stage (if i'm not mistaken), the 400+ has the same output on all impedances for sure :wink:

Here's the manual: Mesa Bass 400+ manual

You know, you can just turn down your volume by half, and play harder with fingers/pick. It is generally a great plus to know how to play soft and hard (dynamics/articulation), so if you're a gig, and the flute player says you're too loud, you can just play softer, or turn down your volume, its that simple. And for the "if you can't play well, play loud" theory, leave that thing alone... And try to play well no matter what.

Latest posts

Back