Building your own cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceg

Reaction score
:) Anybody out there ever build any bass cabinets using boogie neo 12s or any other 12 inch pro drivers.Im looking in to building a pair of 212 cabs and was wondering what luck others had in doing this. Thanks Bruce

Yes i have, just do your homework prior to purchasing the drivers. I reccomend Winisd for modeling purposes. Building your own cabs can be quite rewarding. My two 112's have served me well for over a year and a half. I didn't use boogie neos, but if i had to do it again i would look hard at the eminence kappalite 3012lf. It is just hitting the market and nothing can touch it for twice the price.

Thanks Ive seen that speaker on parts express website and it looks very impressive with an xmax of over 9mm although I wish the sensitivity was a little higher.Ive also looked at the basslite 2012 150 watt neo with stamped frame and 100db sensitivity for $80.How loud can you go with 2 12s can you keep up with most guitar amps or should I build 2 212 cabs as I am used to using a roadready powerhouse 1000.The 1000 cabinet is up for sale if anybody is interested. thanks Bruce

Sensitivity is only one of many factors. When talking about guitar sound sensitivity is a huge factor. With bass sound the quoted sensitivity is not as important. The bandwidth sensitivity is. Eminence makes it easy for you to compare drivers. Go to their website and under "resources" click on cabinet designs. Now compare different drivers. Pay special attention to excursion limited displacement, and maximum acoustical output. I think you will find that a kappalite 3012lf will put out more bass than an s2012, a deltalite 2512, or 2 of just about any other 12 that costs under $200.

If you don't think 2 12's will keep up, then get two kappalite 3015lf's and be done with it. I have direct experience with that speaker and i can tell you it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I was on eminences website looking at the specs for that 15 inch driver you mentioned and I was impressed to say the least.The one I liked was the 3.6 cubic ft vented box.How does the punch from these 15s compare to the 12s. Thanks Bruce

The frequency response of the two drivers will be very similar, but the 3012lf will require around 65% of the airspace of the 3015lf. IOW the 12 will be smaller and the 15 will be louder. As far as punch that's a very subjective term for a bassist. I would suspect that youll be happy with the low end performance of either of these drivers, but punch as you are probably used to hearing from your powerhouse 1000 is in the midrange. Neither of these drivers have very good midrange performance. They would need to be crossed over at 500-1000 hz. The good news is that a midrange driver that can take over in that range is relatively cheap, light, and small.

Back