Bass 400+ or MPulse Venture 600

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceg

Reaction score
:D Hello everybody im new to this site.Thanks for letting me in.I have a Bass 400+ and a Roadready Powerhouse 1000 cabinet that Im thinking about selling so I can downsize some.Im looking at a Venture combo but I havent heard one yet as there arent any dealers in my area.For those of you out there that have heard both of these amps please feel free to jump and tell what you think. Thanks Bruce Girdler

The bass 400+ is a tasty head. It is one of my favorite bass amps ever. How many other bass amps take 12 6L6s? (none, I believe)
I'm sure you'd agree that the head is incredible. The mild and heavy warm overdrive tones of the 400+ are not to be found on MPulse Venture 600.

I think If you need to downsize, you might want to start with the cabinet. If weight is a concern, try a Neodymium 2x12 (non mesa) or mesa 2x10, 2x12, and or 1x15. Mesa makes a nice 1x12 that would work well in a pair.

-mark

Thanks for your input.Ive also considered what your saying about just getting a different cabinet.I just didnt know what Mesas solid state stuff sounds like compared to the 400+.Do you think Mesa will ever make an all tube bass amp again.I would like to see something in the 400+ chassis with 8 KT88 tubes and maybe variable damping factor so you can go from a tight tube tone like the 400+ to a looser vintage vibe like an SVT amp.Thanks for your input. Bruce

I'd say that the odds are against mesa making another all-tube bass amp again. I could be wrong though.

Mesa solid state stuff is nice, but its not as nice as a 400+ if you're happy with your 400+

Ive often thought about getting a KT88 amp as well, Hiwatt makes a 6xKT88 and 4xKT88. Reeves makes a 4xKT88. Nice amps all around.

If you are savvy, you can find an Ampeg V-4BH for about $700, its 4x6L6 and is like a Diet SVT.
You can also get a Mesa Buster 6x6L6 for about $700

IMO, do what Mark said get a smaller cab, in any of those configurations,u cant beat the sound of an all tube amp speacially the bass 400+ my fav amp, as far as a mesa w kt 88, and since they are basically 6550s you can find them in the mesa bass 400, wich was the predecesor of the bass 400+, it comes with 6 tho,

You said something about cabinets. I was thinking about building a pair of 2 12 cabs using boogies neo 12s.I would buy the 212 cabs from boogie but I dont have $780 apiece for the cabs which is what I think they cost as the only money Ill have is what I can get out of my roadready powerhouse 1000 cabinet.Just trying make my dollar go as far as possible.Thanks very much for your input. Bruce

a 2x12 is so much more than a 2x10
You might have some luck trading someone your powerhouse 1000 for a 2x12 + cash

Latest posts

Back