mesa boogie 400+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanderpants

Reaction score
hey,

I onw a 400+ and ampeg BSE 410 HLF. The cab is 4 ohm 400 watts so it gets the full amp power. What will happin if I hook up two of these cabs ? Will the amp 's power be devided over the two cabs ? Will i have more power and witch output 's do I use ?

thanks

I "lifted" the following from the Mesa manual for the 400+
(I think it's a good idea too, to make sure you use "speaker cables" not instrument cables when connecting your cabs to your amp--)

SPEAKER JACKS
Two 8-ohm, two 4-ohm and 2-ohm speaker jacks are provided on the Bass 400 Plus. The
amp will produce its full power at all of these impedances, provided that the total
impedance of your speaker cabinets is matched to the output(s) used. (Slight mismatches
are not a major problem, but they will cause slightly lower output and may shorten tube
life.) When using more than one speaker cabinet, remember that the total load impedance
goes down as more cabinets are connected. For example, if you use one 8-ohm speaker
cabinet, use one of the 8-ohm jacks. But if you use two 8-ohm cabinets, they will be
operating in parallel and the total load will be 4 ohms. Therefore, plug each cabinet into a
4-ohm jack. If you want to use two 2x15 cabinets where each cabinet is rated at 4 ohms
(which is how Boogie 2X15’s are wired), connect both cabinets to the 2-ohm Jacks
provided.

Owl Man said:
I "lifted" the following from the Mesa manual for the 400+
(I think it's a good idea too, to make sure you use "speaker cables" not instrument cables when connecting your cabs to your amp--)

SPEAKER JACKS
Two 8-ohm, two 4-ohm and 2-ohm speaker jacks are provided on the Bass 400 Plus. The
amp will produce its full power at all of these impedances, provided that the total
impedance of your speaker cabinets is matched to the output(s) used.
(Slight mismatches
are not a major problem, but they will cause slightly lower output and may shorten tube
life.) When using more than one speaker cabinet, remember that the total load impedance
goes down as more cabinets are connected. For example, if you use one 8-ohm speaker
cabinet, use one of the 8-ohm jacks. But if you use two 8-ohm cabinets, they will be
operating in parallel and the total load will be 4 ohms. Therefore, plug each cabinet into a
4-ohm jack. If you want to use two 2x15 cabinets where each cabinet is rated at 4 ohms
(which is how Boogie 2X15’s are wired), connect both cabinets to the 2-ohm Jacks
provided.
:wink:

If I can hijack this without being too rude,....I've got a 400+ as well,.. I have two jacks labeled 4 ohms, 2 labeled 8 ohms,...and then one jack above each of the 4/8 ohm jacks that aren't labeled at all. Are these the 2 ohm jacks? No where on the amp is there anything labled at 2 ohms, and nothing on the manual as far as a diagram of the backplate to show me where these are supposed to be located. Color me confused!

OP, if you hook up two cabs the head will split the output evenly between the two.

voodoobass said:
If I can hijack this without being too rude,....I've got a 400+ as well,.. I have two jacks labeled 4 ohms, 2 labeled 8 ohms,...and then one jack above each of the 4/8 ohm jacks that aren't labeled at all. Are these the 2 ohm jacks? No where on the amp is there anything labled at 2 ohms, and nothing on the manual as far as a diagram of the backplate to show me where these are supposed to be located. Color me confused!
I'm pretty sure. I'd have to look on the back of mine. But all the speaker jacks are together. The 2 ohm label might be on the upper part of the chasis above the jacks and not the back panel.

Back