Cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exposeenmity

Reaction score
What's up eveyone. I'm in the process of getting my first mesa and am looking forward to it. One question that I haven't found an answer for is this; what type of material does mesa use for their enclosures? I mean both combos and heads, obviously excluding their custom finished stuff. I ask, because with as much as those cabs cost, they better be made out of solid wood. The only manufacturer that I have seen that states the material the cabs are made of is Framus, all of their cabs are solid wood and I know that solid wood would sound much better than pressed particle board. But I know someone will probably just reply that it doesn't matter the material because you're still going to cover it with tolex or some other material. Anyway, just let me know what you know. Thanks!

I just went to Mesa's website and I cannot find where they say what the material is for the enclosures.

I would guess, that it's not pressed particle board but more likely a high quality plywood. I have 2 older 1x15 diesel cabs that are solidly built, and sound great. They have taken a lot of abuse being shoved around and have some wear and tear on the tolex, some dents, but no structural damage.

Try contacting Mesa and ask them yourself what they use.
707-778-6565

I am somewhat biased toward Mesa/Boogie, but that's because I have used and abused their products for years and they hold up great and sound great. I am a firm believer that to a large degree you "get what you pay for".

I have a Bass400+ head, and obviously that is made out of heavy steel. I recently replaced the original 12 year old tubes, and only 1 of them was bad, but I did them all just to be safe. Now I have like 11 spare 6L6 power tubes!

Let us know what they say.

I have the info: for all of their 'housings', be it individual heads, combos, or speaker cabinets, they use 14 ply baltic birch. So, if anyone else besides me was wondering, there you go.

Why do you say that it's 'Marine grade' birch? I called them and they told me Baltic Birch. Unless you work for them, I'll take their word for it.

I worked for several years repairing boats, marine grade means they use 2 part epoxy between each layer, and they "glue/epoxy" gets squeegied on betweed each layer(14plys=14 layers) to make sure their are no voids for water to seep into and stay.

This prevents dry rot in a boat and prevents strange vibrations in a wooden cabinet.

Oh yeah forgot, Baltic Birch in the boat business means they import the wood from Eastern Europe (The Baltic Sea). These are often old growth trees, very old, very many rings, very dense wood.

I don't know if this is true or not but I know I love every Boogie cab I have ever seen.

Oh okay, cool. I obviously didn´t know what ´marine grade´was. I guess that´s just technical information that the end user reall doesn´t care too much about. Thanks for the info.

Back